CHAPTER 6

Chapter 6: The Delinquent's Dilemma

The morning sun streamed through the window of Takeshi's bedroom, casting a soft golden light over the room. He sat at the edge of his bed, staring at his phone. The message from Yuto from last night still lingered on his screen: "See you tomorrow, Takeshi."

He knew he had to go to school, but something in him resisted. The growing connection with Yuto, the awkwardness of not knowing how to respond to kindness—it was all starting to weigh heavily on him. His mind was a storm of thoughts, none of which brought him peace.

This was supposed to be my second chance, Takeshi thought bitterly. So why is it so hard to figure out what I'm supposed to do?

He looked at the time. If he didn't leave soon, he'd be late. With a frustrated groan, he grabbed his bag and made his way to the front door. His grandmother was already in the kitchen, humming as she prepared tea.

"Heading out?" she asked, not turning from her work.

"Yeah," Takeshi muttered. He paused at the doorway. "I'll be home later."

She smiled warmly. "Take care of yourself, Takeshi."

Her gentle words stuck with him as he stepped outside into the crisp autumn air. It was chilly, and Takeshi instinctively shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket as he walked down the quiet neighbourhood streets. The season was shifting, and the once-vibrant greens of the trees were fading into deep reds and golds.

The vibrant colours of fall clashed against the turmoil inside him.

School was the same as always—a hum of conversations, lockers slamming, and students rushing to their classes. Takeshi walked through the hallways, his gaze fixed on the floor. He didn't feel like talking to anyone, especially not Yuto. Not today.

But of course, Yuto found him first.

"Takeshi!" Yuto called out, jogging over with that same infectious smile. "You're here early today!"

Takeshi forced a shrug. "I guess."

Yuto frowned slightly at the lacklustre response, but didn't push. "I was thinking about studying together again after school. What do you think?"

Takeshi hesitated. His instinct was to say no, to shut down the conversation and avoid the discomfort of spending more time with Yuto. But a small part of him—the part that remembered the feeling of Yuto's kindness, the warmth in his smile—wanted to say yes.

"Yeah, maybe," Takeshi said, his voice quieter than usual. "I'll let you know."

Yuto brightened immediately. "Great! Just let me know, no pressure."

Takeshi gave a noncommittal nod and quickly excused himself, heading to class before Yuto could say anything more. His heart was pounding in his chest, though he couldn't quite explain why.