Chapter 2: Clash of Attitudes, part 2

Xiao Zhan folded his arms, intrigued now despite himself. There was a kernel of insight in what Yibo was saying, but his flippant attitude grated on Xiao Zhan’s nerves. The younger man was too casual, too dismissive of the deeper meanings Xiao Zhan believed were integral to both art and literature.

“Interesting perspective,” Xiao Zhan replied, his tone more measured now. “But isn’t that the point of postmodernism? To challenge us, to make us uncomfortable with the lack of resolution? Art *is* about feeling, but it’s also about making us think. Sometimes, art is the puzzle.”

Yibo’s gaze held Xiao Zhan’s for a moment longer than necessary. There was a tension there, something unspoken and sharp. For a brief moment, Xiao Zhan felt like he had Yibo’s full attention, as if the younger man were actually considering his words. But just as quickly, Yibo leaned back again, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Sure,” Yibo said with a lazy smile, “if that’s what you want to believe.”

The class chuckled, and Xiao Zhan felt a flicker of annoyance. He wasn’t going to let Wang Yibo dismiss his argument so easily, but before he could respond, the bell rang, signaling the end of the session. The students began packing up their things, chatting amongst themselves as they filed out of the room.

Xiao Zhan watched as Yibo stood up, slinging his backpack over one shoulder. He sauntered toward the exit without so much as a glance back at Xiao Zhan.

“Wang Yibo,” Xiao Zhan called out, stopping him just as he reached the door. The rest of the class had already left, leaving the two of them alone in the lecture hall.

Yibo turned slowly, raising an eyebrow in mild interest. “Yeah?”

Xiao Zhan approached him, keeping his expression neutral but firm. “I appreciate that you came to class today, but I expect more from you than just showing up. If you plan on passing this course, I need to see real effort, not just half-hearted participation.”

Yibo’s lips curved into a slight smirk, his eyes gleaming with mischief. “Don’t worry, professor. I’ll make sure to dazzle you next time.”

There was something about the way Yibo said the word “professor” that made Xiao Zhan’s chest tighten. He couldn’t place why it affected him the way it did, but the flippant, almost teasing tone made him feel like Yibo was mocking him. Still, he held his ground.

“I hope you do,” Xiao Zhan replied, his voice steady. “Because if you don’t start taking this seriously, you’ll be wasting both your potential and my time.”

Yibo stared at him for a moment, and for the briefest flicker of time, his playful mask seemed to drop. His gaze softened, and Xiao Zhan saw something raw, something real beneath the surface. But before Xiao Zhan could make sense of it, Yibo gave him a lazy salute and walked out of the room, leaving Xiao Zhan standing there, unsettled.

As the door swung shut behind Yibo, Xiao Zhan let out a slow breath. He wasn’t sure what had just happened, but he knew one thing for certain: Wang Yibo was going to be more than just a difficult student. This felt like the beginning of something…complicated.