A World of Worries

It was a pretty normal day for Athena as she just finished her chores. "Mom I'm finished!" Athena shouted across the hall as she placed the last few boxes in the corner of the room. "Okay that's good sweetie, let me braid your hair up." 

Her mother said as Athena walked down the corridor into the living and rushed to sit down between her mother's legs. She started to smile because she loved when her mother does her hair. Her mother began to part of her hair into small sections before braiding the separated hair..

A couple of moments later, her braids are half done but it already started to become beautiful.

Athena's father opened the front door and walked inside the apartment after going to the bank. He closed the door and locked it, but as his face was long and gloomy, something unfortunate was about to be said.

"Guys, I'm afraid we're really broke and I don't know what we're going to do for this month," The medium-sized man exhaled heavily. "I thought we made a lot of money." He placed the letters down on the small desk beside the sofa. The environment of the house immediately turned shallow and depressing.

The room was filled with silence.

Athena was the first to speak. "I could get a job to help out?" She questioned. Her mother sighed as she tried to find words. "It's okay, sweetie, we'll have it under control soon," She continued to braid her daughter's hair as she tried not to tear up. "I don't want you to be dragged into this mess." Athena sighed and sat in silence waiting for her mom to finish her hair.

The room became silent again.

Her braids were finally done and were placed into a neat bun. "Thanks, mommy!" Athena smiled at her mother, she sighed as she stood up and walked towards her bedroom down the corridor, her braids moving side to side with every step she took. She got to her room and sat on her bed and began to think.

She really wanted to help her parents, but there wasn't anything she could do, since she was only 15. She lived in an area where people aren't as fortunate. She thought it was a silly idea that she was too young to get a job.

Athena took out her drawing book and began to draw. Art and drawing meant a lot to her. She felt that she was able to express herself freely as she moved her pencil.

The usual happy-go-lucky girl was suddenly quiet. She decided to draw a bird. She liked birds because she feels as if she relates to her. They bring her peace.

Athena began to improvise, she could see what the bird would look like in her imagination but she wanted the bird to be unique. As she was sketching, a hummingbird fluttered softly and sat by her window sill. Talk about perfect timing. Its black pretty eyes stared into Athena's small bedroom and then at Athena's hazel eyes. It chirped and hummed.

"Why hello there." Athena giggled as she admired the its wings. The colour and pigment of its wings were admiring, it complimented its physique.

"You are so pretty," Athena giggled as she focused onto her drawing book. The hummingbird chirped in excitement.

"I know...I'll draw you."

However, before Athena could start sketching, the hummingbird chirped one last time before it flew away, again showing off its mesmerizing wings.

She was a little disappointed because it left her with an unfinished drawing, so Athena decided to just close her drawing book. "Oh that's a shame," she thought, "I guess I'll continue another time, the weather is so beautiful," Athena continued before deciding to go outside.

"You know what, I'll just go on a walk."

She got up from her table, picked up her bag and filled it with protection, her drawing book and a bottle of water. Not much, but she's okay with that.