Chapter 1

The rhythmic sounds of shuttlecocks striking the air reverberated throughout the gym of Kitakomachi High School as Ayano Hanesaki, the team's standout player, practiced intensely with Nagisa Aragaki. Their fierce rally captured the attention of everyone present, showcasing their remarkable skill and determination.

Among the onlookers was a fresh face—Haruka Takashima, a gifted badminton player who had recently transferred to Kitakomachi High. After taking a break from competitive play, Haruka watched Ayano from a distance, feeling both admiration and a hint of apprehension as she sensed a budding rivalry.

Backstory of Haruka Takashima:

In middle school, Haruka was a rising star in badminton, celebrated for her aggressive playstyle, rapid-fire smashes, and fierce competitiveness. However, an unexpected wrist injury had derailed her career during its peak, forcing her to step back from the sport she cherished. Following a year of rehabilitation, she was eager for a fresh start at Kitakomachi High.

Unlike Ayano, who hailed from a badminton family, Haruka discovered her passion for the sport on her own, driven by its intensity. Her relentless work ethic propelled her to challenge stronger opponents, thriving on competition. Yet, as she watched Ayano's exceptional skills, Haruka realized that this new environment could be her greatest test.

The next day, Haruka approached the team's coach, Kentarou Tachibana. She introduced herself, outlined her background, and expressed her desire to join the team. Recognizing her talent, Tachibana-sensei welcomed her and invited her to demonstrate her skills during practice.

"Alright, Haruka, let's see what you can do," Tachibana-sensei said, signaling her to take the court.

Haruka felt a rush of excitement as she stood on the same court as Ayano and Nagisa, ready to reignite her competitive spirit.

Ayano observed Haruka with keen interest, noting her sharp stance and confident demeanor. There was something captivating about her presence that drew Ayano in.

During practice matches, Haruka quickly made her mark, showcasing her swift footwork and powerful smashes. Yet, she was not merely a power player; her time away had refined her defensive skills and court awareness. Despite her teammates struggling to keep up, Haruka remained respectful, letting her performance speak volumes.

After several matches, Tachibana-sensei suggested a matchup between Haruka and Ayano, surprising everyone in the gym.

As silence fell, all eyes turned to Ayano. Unfazed by the challenge, she nodded and picked up her racket, locking her gaze on Haruka.

The match commenced, charged with tension. Ayano served first, sending the shuttlecock soaring, while Haruka countered with a drop shot to test Ayano's reflexes. The rally ensued, captivating the team as Haruka's aggressive playstyle clashed with Ayano's composed precision.

Halfway through, Haruka unleashed a powerful smash that seemed unreturnable. Yet, Ayano's quick reflexes allowed her to execute a perfectly placed counter-drop shot, forcing Haruka to sprint to the net. With impressive agility, Haruka dove to flick the shuttlecock back into play.

Ayano was taken aback by Haruka's determination and skill.

As the match unfolded, it became evident that Haruka was no ordinary player; her raw energy and tenacity pushed Ayano in ways few could. However, Ayano's superior control ultimately led her to victory.

When the match concluded, the score held little importance. Both players stood at the net, breathless but grinning, sharing a moment of mutual admiration.

"You're really impressive," Haruka said, wiping the sweat from her forehead. "I haven't had a match like that in a long time."

Ayano returned the compliment with a small smile. "You too. Your game is formidable."

From that moment on, Haruka became an integral part of the team, quickly forming bonds with her new teammates. While she had not yet reached Ayano's level, her relentless determination to improve never faltered. Every practice became an opportunity to sharpen her skills.

Meanwhile, Ayano found herself reflecting on Haruka's playing style. It was rare for her to encounter someone who could challenge her, and deep down, she welcomed the opportunity. Haruka's presence reignited a spark in Ayano, reminding her that there was always room for growth.

As the team prepared for the upcoming tournaments, Haruka's competitive spirit became a source of motivation for everyone. While Ayano focused on her own internal battles, Haruka trained with a single goal in mind: to become the best player she could be. Despite their differences, a quiet bond formed between them through their shared passion for badminton.

With the tournament season approaching, it was clear that Haruka's arrival had strengthened the team. Whether as a rival or an ally, she had firmly established her place on the court, ready to confront whatever challenges awaited her.