Chapter 2: The Proposal

Guess what 😳 - Arther

What?? - Fiona

I'm coming to LA. - Arther

OMG. Really? When?? - Fiona

In like, three days 😳 - Arther

Wtf, so soon! For how long?? - Fiona

I'm not sure. Depends on if I can find a place to stay 🫣 At least a couple of days, though - Arther

Oh wow. You could stay here? - Fiona

Really?? 😳 I thought your mom lived there tho 🤔 - Arther

Nope 😊 she went back home, remember? I've got a free room!! - Fiona

😳😳😳 would that be okay tho? How long could I stay? - Arther

Of course it's okay 🤗 idk, maybe like a week? Or whatever, it's up to you - Fiona

Fiona. I accept. Thank you 🥹 🥹 - Arther

Np 😊 see u soon!! - Fiona

Arther shifted the weight of his backpack as he reached into his pocket for his phone.

"Hello?" came Fiona's groggy voice.

"I'm here."

"Oh my god. What? I'm not ready! Why didn't you tell me you'd be here so soon!"

Arther grinned. "I wanted to surprise you."

"Ugh. You and your surprises. Arther, it's like, 9am. Did you take an overnight flight or something?"

"I couldn't wait. I wanted it to start as early as possible."

"I haven't even showered yet! You're gonna have to wait outside, for like, thirty minutes. Alright?"

'What? No! What if I get mugged?"

"You're not gonna get mugged, Arther. My area is safe."

Arther looked around suspiciously. "But I've got all my stuff on me. Expensive stuff."

He could almost hear her eyes roll. "Ugh. Fine. Just, don't look at me, okay? I just woke up."

"I don't care. I'm sure you'll be just as beautiful as ever."

"Arther! We're not streaming. Are we?"

"No, I'm not."

"Good. Give me five minutes at least, okay?"

"I'm waiting~"

Arther stood on the steps to her home, nervously eyeing the street for anyone suspicious. He checked his phone – it had been ten minutes. His heart pounded in his chest, and he swallowed his nerves. Be cool, Arther. Be cool. As he took a deep breath, the door opened behind him, and he turned to look.

There she was. Fiona. He let go of his breath shakily and felt his face break out into a massive grin. She looked a little disheveled, with strands of hair going every which way and the barest of makeup applied. But seeing her shy smile as she looked up at him in her pajamas, he felt as though his heart would burst from his chest.

He spread his arms, and they hugged deeply. "Hey," she said, a little breathlessly.

He couldn't resist the urge to pat down a stray hair from the top of her head as he pulled back from the hug. "Hey. I was right. You look beautiful."