Chapter One - What the fuck do you mean that I'm married?

Chapter One

"What the fuck do you mean that I'm married?" he thundered.

He could almost taste the migraine that was coming for him. His friend's words had been tattooed in his brain, being repeated again and again but still, somehow he couldn't comprehend their full meaning.

"Last night you had a couple of drinks and the priest thought you were the groom," Jared explained.

He searched for traces of mockery and deceive but his friend's green eyes were as sober as a recovering alcoholic in an AA meeting. Plus, there was no curving line at the corner of his mouth, evidence of the seriousness and true nature of the situation. Jared Warden was not a serious person. And the fact that there was no teasing from him had Nick's usually still heart beating in a rapid rhythm.

"How is that poss- I'm engaged Jared! Engaged!" he exclaimed, not able to believe what was happening.

Nick felt a sharp pain at the center of his forehead. He winched and closed his eyes. The migraine had finally caught up with him. For one night he had allowed himself to have fun out of his hectic office, or what his friend Jared thought the definition of fun was, and the world had come on its end.

"You're not engaged, you're married," stated Jared in all his ignorance.

Nick's eyes opened violently and he glared at his friend's direction who was frowning, confused by his words. A sudden wave of rage washed over him and he could swear that for a moment he saw black spots covering his eyesight. He blinked twice before seeing clearly again.

"No, I mean I'm engaged to Monica," he hissed through his teeth, making sure that he kept his voice down in an effort to reduce the pain in his forehead. Damn alcohol.

"Wait; you're engaged to Monica but married to someone else? And why didn't you tell me about her? I thought you broke it off." Jared seemed offended but Nick knew better. Holly, Jared's 'soul mate' had never liked Monica and her 'cold politeness' as she used to call it. And since Holly didn't like her, Jared wasn't allowed to like her as well. The rules of being in a serious monogamous relationship. A woman's instinct was always right. Holly's words, not his.

Nick had to sigh at his friend's stupidity. He was the one who had drunk an ocean the previous night and Jared was supposed to be filling him up on the events that had taken place. How had it come to the opposite?

"I asked Monica to marry me before I came here," he explained and Jared's eyes widened in shock.

"You asked Monica to marry you?" he repeated in disbelief.

Nick couldn't stand the ridiculousness of the conversation. "Yes," he hissed again at his friend, "I asked her to marry me. Can we return now to how and why I'm married to some unknown woman that is not Monica?"

"I thought you didn't love Monica." Jared kept being stupid and avoiding the subject that was of importance, making Nick wanting to punch him.

"I'm thirty four and not getting any younger," he gave the simplest explanation.

Truth was there were other reasons as well. His mother was starting to get on his nerves with the matter of how he should settle down, he was successful at what he did, owned his place and a big account in the bank and finally, why not? Monica was the type of woman who was happily compromising with his life style; endless hours of work and not the kind of man who enjoyed hearts and cuddles. It worked for him. They had never lived in the same apartment but she had spent countless nights on his bed.

"You're fucked," Jared stated. Nick returned his gaze, with an unsaid 'No shit, Sherlock'.

"Luckily, Monica is in Monaco. It's the fashion week and she's taken the chance to search for a wedding dress or something like that."