Girls Around The World

“I’m only gonna break, break your.....break, break your heart....”

“Hello...” I murmured groggily, as the sound of my Taio Cruz ringtone woke me up in the morning.

“Hello! Ben? This is your publisher!” the voice boomed down the other side of the phone.

“What?” I grumbled.

“Your book’s a hit! Top seller everywhere! We hope you can come down today to meet with your PR people to discuss a few things!” The highly excitable voice early in the morning was proving supremely irritating.

“My what people?” I exclaimed, still not fully awake.

“Your PR people. Apparently something you put in your book that you have to follow through. They have something for you planned. Come meet us this afternoon.”

“OK, whatever.” I hung up the phone, and dropped it back onto the floor.

I wanted to get back to sleep, but the damn phone call disrupted my sleeping pattern now. And then...

“Luda! Now I may not be the worst and the best but you gotta respect my honesty....”

“Oh shut up Ludacris.” I complained to nobody in particular as my wretched phone rang again.

The caller ID read Melissa.

“What?” I grunted.

“Ben! Wakey wakey! I read the news about your book!” came yet another chirpy excitable voice in the morning. My fuse was almost about to blow.

“What about it? Yes I know.” I murmured two contradictory statements.

“Come on! Let’s go celebrate! Let’s have a big meal! Breakfast, lunch, dinner, all day!”

“I’d love to, but I can’t.” I pretended to show interest.

“Aww, why?”

“I have to meet my damn publisher. Apparently it’s about something I wrote, and they have something for me planned.” I complained.

“Aww...Well, call me when you’re done, okay?” I can only imagine the grin on her face as she hung up.

Melissa was my supposed girlfriend. Well, not really. She only thinks she’s my girlfriend. Truth be told, I only treated her like a sister. A pretty annoying one at that.

Depending on your point of view, I would be the luckiest or unluckiest guy in the world to have Melissa in my life. Sure she’s cute, and she’s a dancer, so that’s some talent there. She’s also reasonably randy (that’s sort of her nickname actually), in the sense that she’s, well, quite open sexually. Not that I ever did anything with her. Yet.

But she’s also quite irritating. She admits to that herself. I suppose most people would not be able to withstand her various antics of pestering and chattering, but I guess I’m one of a kind. I’m used to it really. And besides, it’s nice to have a companion for some things, sometimes. She ain’t half bad actually. She can actually be entertaining, if you could take it.

Regardless, I didn’t have time for her today. I got myself dressed and prepared to head down to my publisher’s HQ. I wondered what all the fuss was about anyway. It’s not like the first time I had a best-selling book.

I reached HQ and parked my Volkswagen Golf GTI in the facility’s car park. I love my cars, but it wasn’t really wise to splurge on super fast cars in Singapore, where I am mostly based, when the Government taxes the fuck out of you on them. So I kept a low profile with my trusty German hatchback, and left the exotics at my various pads around the world.