4. Different Dipper

The wind was my assistant, the stars; my light. And Bill was my friend.
My only friend.
Everything felt better like this- without the troubles of my family or the issues occurring between my twin and I. No betrayal was out here. Just the peaceful sound of the Oregon breeze and the scent of the pine.
I actually felt myself grinning.
But this was different.
A different type of smile. Not the toothy grin you show your parents when you've scored the goal in soccer tryouts. Not the type you reveal to your crush when you see them walking across the hall and get that happy, light-hearted feeling in your chest.
This was different.
•••
"Hey, Bill."
The isosceles triangle froze, waiting for the taunting to begin. He turned.
"Yes, Quad?"
"How's that, uh, little plan of yours coming along?" The squared demon asked. Bill stood back. He wasn't in the mood to fight with him today.
"Great, actually." Bill answered, matter-of-fact like.
"Oh, yeah? And how's that?" Quad sneered.
'Easy.' Bill thought to himself. 'He's prompting a response from you, Bill...'
"I've got big ideas. It's all coming along, nicely." He added that last part a little arrantly. Quad narrowed his eye.
"You see, here's the thing, brother, we have an order in Flatland and there is no room for dreamers such as you-"
"Dreamers? It's going to happen! I'll show you." Bill hovered off, angry and agitated. He knew one day he would overrule all of them. Every single one of them!
There'd be a new world order around there.
•••
"Amazing, isn't it, Dipper?"
No. No, it was much more that amazing. It was unique. Especially for somebody like myself to experience something like this. But I nodded, nonetheless.
"Yes. Bill, it's beautiful!" I exclaimed.
"Yeah. Let's get you back though. Tough night for you and you need some rest, kid." His voice was gentle, so as much as I wanted to protest and stay out more, I caved in.
"Alright."
We started heading back to the Mystery Shack, but I still had something on my mind. Before we entered the windows, I paused.
"Wait!"
"What?" Bill questioned.
I rubbed the back of my neck.
What about Mabel? What was i going to do? I'd been gone for a couple hours, out flying.
I didn't quite know how to ask him, I didn't have the words. But, forgetting he was a mind reader, he brought me inside the shack.
"She's asleep." Bill reassured, making his way out of my mind. I glanced at the vacant bed across from mine.
"But where-?"
"She's downstairs, kid."
Oh, that's right. I forgot that I locked our door. Which means she couldn't get in.
I found myself looking at the ground. Bill hovered towards me.
"...'S the matter, Dipper?" He pondered. I was asking myself the same thing. I was mad at Mabel, wasn't I? So, how come I was feeling bad? God, I was such a pushover, sometimes! And it angered me, too, because maybe I deserved better than this. My sister should treat me like her equal, not like her go-to slave whenever she feels like it!
"Kid?"
I glanced up at him and then shook my head. "What, uh- sorry! I was just... Thinking."
"I know." Of course he knew.
I gave him a slightly annoyed expression, which I hoped didn't offend him. "Do you have to read my mind every single second, Bill?"
He shrugged. "Can't help it. I know what everyone is thinking, all the time."
"So, then... What should I do about Mabel?" I gave him a pleading stare.
"Look, Dipper, she's your sister. But if you so desperately want my advice, I'll give you this-" he hovered close to my ear. "Think about what she's done. What she did and how badly you were hurt by it. You're gonna forgive her that easily?"
I stared in front of me, in thought. Why should I? All of the events over the summer leading up to that, which hurt the most, and I was actually feeling bad for her? It was those waterworks of hers! I wasn't going to give in this time.
I turned. "No, I'm-"
But he was gone.
And I was alone.
•••
A/N
Sorry this was short. But a lot happens in the next chapter. Lets just say there is a lot of twin troubles....