We Can Still Have Fun

I had been in the new cell for five days. Within that period of time, Tuor had helped me claim back the sanity that I had not had since being on Earth. I felt stronger. Braver. This time, I would find a way out, and save Kori. I had absolutely no idea how I was going to do that, but I was tired of being the victim.

I was doing push ups, while some of my cellmates observed me. “…67…68…69…70…” Apparently, they were not used to this sort of exercise. Someone had even joined me, but had only gotten to twenty before giving up. It frustrated me that I was going the rate that I was; I was used to going faster, for longer. Oh well, I hadn’t done much of anything active in a couple weeks.

“Richard, vot are you up to?”                           

“I’m building up my strength. I want to be in tip top form when I escape.”

A hearty laugh shook the cell and caused to fall flat on my face. “You can not escape! Is impossible!”

No one escapes.” Someone added in.

“Oh yeah? Then explain how I met Kori after she was captured.” 

Another laugh. “She is exception to rule. She and her sister.”

“Yes,” I concluded, proud of my victory. “They went their separate ways. Kori coming to earth and meeting me, and Koma going off and robbing the Centari moons of a precious jewel, which she later gave to Kori in an attempt to have her take her place in intergalactic prison. Which did not work, mind you.”

What a royal grimplork.”

I laughed. “So ‘no one escapes’ is a false statement. Because Kori is a somebody.”

“Okay! But cut your nose, comrade. Escape is extremely, terribly, painfully difficult!”

“Don’t underestimate me.” I smiled. I had been much more content in this cell then I had been in the other one, but I was still extremely worried for Kori. Bringing her up in conversation made me start thinking about her again. I returned to my push ups in an attempt to think on other things.

“You are fooling no one Richard. It is alright to be vorried.”

“Worry is a weakness.” I recited. “I know she can take care of herself.”

“You know, but do you believe?”

I rested at the peak of my rep. “No. Is it that obvious?”

“Is written all over your face.”

I continued. “Tuor…They said they were putting her in the high crimes containment unit. Is that…bad?” I recalled the way the guards doubted their orders.

“I am unsure, but someone here will know. You follow.” He walked away.

I hopped to my feet and walked quickly behind. We moved farther back into the cell then I had been before. Two slots illuminated a small sector of the room, and sitting in front of one was a girl. She was breathtakingly beautiful as her body was made completely out of clear crystal.

“This young lady spent some time in high crimes unit, her body made of diamonds, cut through everything else.”

“Amazing!” I admired as the light sparkled off of her.

“There is but one problem.”

“And that is…?”

“She mute!”

I let out a frustrated grunt, and then sighed. “Will ASL work?” I asked.

Tuor shrugged.

I believed it was paying off to have a mute friend back at home. I signed, ‘Hello, my name is R-I-C-H-A-R-D.’