Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

"Golf," I say to Ryn, "is possibly the most boring human sport in existence." I walk across the deck and flop onto a lounger beside him. "People spend ages trying to get their feet the right distance apart, their knees bent at the correct angle, and the proper grip with their hands, all so they can whack tiny balls into the distance, which they then have to go in search of when the darn things don't land where they're supposed to. And I had to spend the entire morning watching this! Through faerie paths peepholes!"

Ryn crosses his legs. "I'm guessing he didn't tell his golfing buddies anything about his encounters with the fae kind?"

"Nope. I even stayed to observe their lunch, but the conversation remained firmly in boring territory." I stare at the canvas umbrella above my head. "So, what happened here? Did you find somewhere for us to stay tonight, or did you just laze about all day?"

Without lifting his head, Ryn points to the other side of the deck. "Pool house."

Pool house. Right. "So you didn't like my idea of finding an unused bedroom in the house and magically locking it while we're inside?"

"The Harts' grandkids are using two of the rooms, and the maids were making up the others. Seems there'll be people staying over after tomorrow night's party."

"Hmm, a party." I shift into a more comfortable position on the lounger. "The last one they had was the one where the Unseelie faerie gave something to Mr. Hart."

"Yes."

"So maybe the faerie will show up again and we'll figure everything out tomorrow night."

"Maybe."

We lie in silence for a while, and I try my best not to think of Honey in the midst of an exciting battle between two fae kinds. It doesn't work. "We could be fighting dangerous Egyptian fae and instead we're lying in the shade beside a pool, doing nothing."

"I know," Ryn says. "Isn't it awesome?"

"Ryn!" I sit up. "I want to be fighting something. I can't stand this waiting around and observing and essentially achieving nothing."

Ryn tilts his head so he can look up at me. "I think I know why you got this assignment. Someone realized you need to learn patience and—"

"Wait." I hold up a hand. "What is that on your face?"

"Um ..."

I lean closer. "Is that a bruise on your eye?"

"Hmm." He looks away. "I thought that would be gone by now."

I cross my arms and ask, "What exactly did you do today?"

"That's none of your business."

"It is my business when you're my assignment partner."

"Well, it had nothing to do with our assignment, so I guess I don't have to tell you."

I glare at him a moment longer, then stand up. "Fine. I'm going to check out the pool house."

"Great." I hear the creak of the lounger as Ryn gets up. "I should probably do that too."

"You mean you haven't even looked inside? It could be nothing more than a storage room filled with pool toys and chemicals."

"Let's hope not, or tonight could get uncomfortable."

I try the handle and find it unlocked. I step inside, Ryn close behind me. Wooden blinds conceal the windows, allowing just enough afternoon light in to cast a warm glow over the room. A kitchenette lines the wall on the right, an open door on the far wall leads to a bathroom, and in the center of the room is a large bed. One large bed.