3. Theana

T U E S D A Y - 1 2 : 0 3

The small diner smelled like oily food, steaming hot coffee, and over priced pastries. It was a sanctuary for most college students that lived in the dorms at school or apartments just a few blocks away. The sound of rushing college kids filled the gap between the chef shouting orders and laughter. The leather booth Theana had chosen to sit at was shadowed in the back corner. The sunlight had peeked it's way through the diner and warmed it up even more. The hot tea she had ordered earlier glistened in the sun and was probably room temperature.

Theana hadn't touched a single thing on the table since she had been in the diner, including her phone which was buzzing like a crazed bee or her tea. It was only yesterday that she was practically thrown out by her dream college. She had put in so much blood and tears and it seemed as if no one understood how much it meant to her besides herself. Katherine was her best friend but no shopping trip would make up for her depression. Katherine had been lucky enough to get into another college that was only a few miles away from where Theana was suppose to be going. Suppose to be going... That was all over now.

Theana pushed her hair back which hadn't been washed in weeks from the nervousness for her interview with the college and then for her downfall. Her chipped black nails dug into her scalp before sliding down onto her neck. With a sigh she picked up the mug and took a sip of the now cold tea. As soon as it dripped onto her tongue Theana grabbed a napkin and spit it out. At that very moment Katherine walked through the doors of the diner and waved to Theana. Her hair was pushed into a tight ponytail and she had on what looked to be very expensive workout attire. Katherine smiled at other people in the diner, even kissed the cheek of one of the waiters before sitting down infront of Theana.

"Hi there stranger!" She said in a bubbly voice.

"Okay, so what's the big news?" Theana said slowly as she dipped her finger in and out of the cold tea on the table.

"Well everyone is really worried about you Theana, when I left your apartment I thought you were fine. Now I'm being told that you haven't talked to your parents and you won't even read my texts." Katherine said in her high pitched voice. Some of the waiters were nudging each other and staring at her. There wasn't one time that Theana had been with Katherine and she wasn't a dark shadow next to her. Katherine had the aura that pulled people in and wouldn't release them, Theana was just the random girl next to her. Maybe it was the way she dressed or her undying love for art that made her second place to her best friend.

"Come on Theana. I'm taking you somewhere special." Katherine said with a tug of Theana's sweater.

Without a second glance back to Theana, Katherine made her way towards the door of the diner. Theana sighed before reaching into her purse to pay for the untouched tea. Such a waste of money. Theana slid her purse onto her shoulders and stood up from from the worn out leather seat. She slowly walked out of the diner, smiling to her waitress on her way out. Once Theana stepped outside it was like she was in an entirely new dimension. Cars zoomed past the diner's parking lot reminding Theana that the world did not stop moving just because she was throwing herself a pity party. A honk from Katherine's bright red car jolted Theana back into reality. She quickened her steps towards the car and opened up the door. Once inside the car, Theana inhaled the smell of expensive flowers. If that was even a thing. Katherine pulled out of the parking lot without a word to Theana, but she had the biggest smile on her face. It was one that filled up a room with mischief and determination. Theana wished she could be more like her friend, everything seemed so easy for her. Even as Katherine glided through traffic Theana thought of how she could produce a "spark" on a canvas.