The Wrong Person

"So do you like Muse?" I asked Stacy, my date for the night. We had just met a few days ago, so I asked her out. She's pretty and sweet, but unfortunately, we don't seem to have too much in common. I've been trying to see if I could connect with her all night, but with no luck.

"What's Muse?" she asked. 

I wanted to facepalm, but I refrained.

"Um, never mind," I decided.

"Do you like running?" she asked. "I love to exercise."

"Um," I sighed. "I dont go out all that much."

She put on a pity smile. "You're lucky you're cute," she said.

I didn't want her to like me because I was "cute." I wanted to have at least one thing in common with her. This was a disaster.

We were having dinner at a usually quiet sit-down restaurant. But today, it was packed. Couple and families filled every seat for some reason. I was irritated. 

A couple had just left the seat next to Stacy and I, and another sat down. This time, it was a couple our ages. We were all so closely packed that I could smell them. Ugh, people.

Stacy and I sat in silence while we waited for someone to take our orders. I could hear the other couple talking, trying to pass the time.

"So do you like animals?" the boy asked his date.

"Not really," she answered stubbornly, causing him to frown. "Animals bother me."

"Oh."

Sounds like his was going just as bad as mine.

"So Phil," she finally said to him. "You're awfully quiet tonight."

"I-I just don't like this many people around. I didn't know there's be so many people tonight."

Poor guy, I thought. 

"Oh don't be a baby," she responded rudely to him. 

He nervously adjusted his glasses and flicked his black hair - anything to keep busy.

"Do you like Chinese food, Stacy?" I asked my date, trying again for some kind of spark. 

"Ugh, not really. It makes me sick."

I gave up and rolled my eyes. She pretended not to notice.

"Oh, I love Chinese food! Do you like Chinese food, Emily?" the other guy next to me asked his date, obviously able to hear what I was saying to mine.

"Eh," she shrugged. 

"Dan," Stacy called my attention. "I'm going to the ladies room. I'll be right back," she told me, standing up. 

"Oh, me too. I'll be back, Phil," the other girl close to us said.

"Ok," he gave her a fake smile. 

I sighed at the awkward silence between him and me.

"So," he said, perfectly aware that we were in the same situation. "How's your date?"

"Horrible," I answered. "We've got nothing in common."

"Neither do Emily and I. This is a mess. I want to leave so badly. Its so awkward...."

I knew how he felt. "I'm Dan," I said, trying to be comforting.

"I'm Phil."

We sat in silence for a few more moments. 

"Please tell me you know who Muse is," I said, making conversation.

"Are you kidding? They're the best band ever! I love them."