Chapter One: The New Moon Festival

Miku raced down the stairs after her sister Truffles.

"C'mon!" Truffles laughed, "we're gonna be late!"

Miku panted as she tried to keep her pointed feet moving. She knew why Truffles was in a hurry, it was the new moon that night. On every new moon, Pufflets of all sizes gathered under a large oak tree to talk. Pufflets were small cat-like creatures with legs that tapered to points at the end instead of paws. But there was one other thing. Pufflets had powers...magical powers. And under the new moon they would combine their powers and illuminate the sky and have a feast.

"Hang on!" Miku exclaimed."I'm going as fast as I can!"

Pufflets lived in tree houses that connected to each other forming a city in the trees. Some Pufflets lived under the trees, but only the antisocial ones.

Truffles leaped down from the last of the stairs and raced towards the tree.

"Stop! Stop!" Miku gasped as she fell to the floor. Panting she glanced at Truffles.

"You need to get in shape," Truffles said looking down at Miku. Miku often spent her time up in the trees reading books, learning, and mastering her magic where as Truffles did the opposite. She exercised, socialized with others, and usually only used her magic on new moon.

"You need to stop talking!" Miku countered.

"Oh no! Miku!" Truffles exclaimed, ignoring Miku, "look, they're starting without us!"

Miku started to run after Truffles again. Truffles screeched to a stop resulting in Miku crashing into her.

"Oof!" They said in unison.

"Well it's about time!" A gruff voice said. Miku and Truffles spun around to see Sochi, Miku's mentor.

"Sorry master!" Miku said, ashamed. "We were-" She was cut off.

"It doesn't matter what you were doing!" Sochi snapped. "You never miss the New Moon festival!"

Miku looked down and Truffles shifted her paws.

"Sorry master,"Miku said respectfully. Sochi's tone lightened but he still was strict.

"Now hush!" he said."It is starting."

Truffles and Miku sat down by Sochi.

"Welcome everyone!" Miku looked up to see a large, brown Pufflet standing on a branch of the tree.

"It's the new moon once again and before we begin the festivities why don't we all take a minute to talk," he said.

And with that, he jumped down. Truffles got up to talk with her friends, but Miku didn't really know anyone so she just looked around.

Candles were being hung from the branches and small etchings of the moon and Pufflets were scattered about the bark. No doubt drawn by her ancestors.

Miku looked up at the sky. She saw the dim outline of the moon slowly taking it's place in the center of the sky. It would be time to start soon.

Catching sight of Truffles, Miku made her way towards her.

"We're going to start soon," Miku whispered to her. Truffles bid a quick farewell to her friends and followed Miku back to their spot.

The friendly chattering was quickly doused by a loud yowl and everyone knew what that meant. It was time to start. The new moon's outline began to get brighter. Truffles and Miku closed their eyes. Miku felt the presence of the fellow Pufflets engulf her. She, and the others, began to glow. Miku heard an uneasy sigh come from Truffles but she ignored it. Gradually everyone began to glow brighter and soon their power was released into the sky, illuminating it. Miku opened her eyes and looked up. It was beautiful. The sky was lit was many different colors. Her eyes locked onto a star. It was moving.

"Look!" Truffles shouted. "The stars are moving!"

Gasps came from the other Pufflets and shouts of horror followed.

"What's happening?" one asked.

"Is the world ending?!" cried another.

The questions were stopped by a shrill scream. Miku looked at Sochi.

"It's coming!" He screamed. "Space has been distorted, a great doom will befall us all!"

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Heyo cupcakes! What'd ya think of the first chapter? I hope you like it and we will be updating soon! Oh yeah and one more thing... Pufflets are imaginary creatures created by me and Skye. They ours and ours only! Do not steal them please!
                                     ~Janice