Part 3

He had caught the tell-tale movement of her eyes rolling back in her head at the same time as he saw her knees start to buckle and once again, Lindsey was catching her up into his arms. Arguments be damned...she wasn't even awake now to fight him, he thought, as he carefully maneuvered her out of her dressing room, and through the hallway. Passing Christine on the way, her eyes widening in shock at the woman lying limply in his arms, the speed of his stride never slowed as he told her to make their excuses, he was taking Stevie to the hospital.

He gently seated her in the limo, making sure that her head was resting against his shoulder. His protective side where she was concerned stronger than ever, as he tapped the glass and told the driver to step on it.

Lindsey's face was glued to hers as he watched for any sign that she was waking up... His hands gently caressing her cheek as he felt her breathing against him. She had only been out a few seconds, but it was enough to scare him, the pale shade of his face matching hers as he allowed the fear to show plainly, not caring if anyone saw it, or interpreted it. He loved her, he didn't care how angry she made him. He'd always love her, and he'd always protect her... as long as he was able.

Stevie slowly became aware of the arms that held her, and the rocking motion of the car as it sped across the freeway. Pushing herself free of him, her eyes shot icy daggers, the brown of her eyes not visible as they had faded to a shade of black he knew all too well.

"Uh oh.. I feel there's trouble in Shangri-limo," his words were meant as a joke, to try and lighten the mood, but he could see all they had done was make her angrier, as he watched her distance herself from him, seating herself against the door of the limo.

"You ass... what the hell are you thinking. I SAID NO HOSPITALS! And now... what do I get, I get you making fun of my damned songs... Turn this car around and take me back NOW!" she had found no humor in his words, she knew what he was trying, and it hadn't worked. All she could feel right now was anger at being taken somewhere she dreaded going... hospitals and doctors had never told her anything but bad things... Robin was dying, a hole in her nose, brain hemorrhage.... It all came at her in a flash as the car sped along the freeway, and she fought the urge to open the door and jump out.

"No..." was the only reply he uttered as he stared at her, defiantly daring her to think he was going to do as she said.

"Lindsey, I am not playing, turn this car around-" her words were broken as a sudden wave of nausea came over her, and she fought to calm herself enough to speak again. "Pull the damn car over!" she was screaming, and Lindsey was just as determined for the car not to stop, he wanted no chance for her to escape.

"No, don't pull over, keep going..." he yelled back at the driver.

"Lindsey..." her breath caught in her throat as she fought to keep from losing it right there on the leather seats of the limo. "PULL OVER... damn you this is not some game! I'M GONNA BE SICK."

That stopped him dead in his argument. Tapping on the glass he yelled at the driver to pull over as he helped her open the door to the limo. The pale green tinge to her skin telling him that she wasn't joking. Lindsey sat by helplessly as the sound of her retching echoed in his ears. His hands holding her hair away from her face could feel the perspiration that had beaded along the curve of her neck, and his instincts once again kicked in.... Something... oh yes something was most definitely wrong.

Stevie felt weak, exhausted, and a little embarrassed as she pulled herself back into the car. She couldn't believe he had just witnessed her like that, but she also knew that it wasn't the first time either. Nothing seemed to be normal in her life anymore... she was either tired, or sick, and something had to give... resigning herself to the trip to the hospital, she leaned her head against the back of the limo, willing her body to calm itself.