Chapter 11 - Like Every Other Creature

Whatever Mallus was up to, he was showing no signs of hurrying up. He jogged with a too confident stride. He was clutching no torch or even any magical light, meaning he wanted the darkness to cover him. It looked too suspicious.

Karl had no idea what the legate was doing at this time. But, if he was doing something incriminating, he had no choice but to investigate. He began stalking.

"What are you doing?" He slightly forgot about Durzsha, trailing behind him.

"Finding out what Legate Mallus's up to." He replied.

"You're foolish. He must have his reasons. Leave him be."

"You leave me be...I mean," Karl changed his words, hoping not to offend an Orc. "Head back to the District. Call for help. Anybody."

Durzsha thought about it. She could leave Karl alone, not get mixed up with his crazy plan. But, after that Arena bout, she was beginning to trust him and his prowess.

"Fine." Durzsha ultimately answered, then went running back to the Prison District.

Rid of her, Karl continued his trail. It was hard to keep up with the dark-hooded Mallus in the night, but he was not surrendering. He followed him as he traversed the labyrinth of market stalls.

Eventually, Mallus ducked into an alleyway. Karl noticed this, and leaned on the corner of the entrance, hand ready on Fang's hilt. Then, the conversation began.

"Greetings, Imperial." A second raspy voice greeted. Karl then realized it sounded awfully familiar. It had been days since he last heard that voice, but could it be?

"Let's cut the formalities. I hope you have what I think you have." Mallus said, seriously.

"Oh, I do. The finest skooma, the most desirable moon sugar, at a decent price." The familiar voice bargained.

Karl has heard enough. Was Mallus, a Legion legate, a drug addict?!

He got out from his corner, raised his bloodstained sword, and pointed it at the two. "NOBODY MOVE!"

Mallus turned around in shock. He stared into Karl's determined face. He was surprised at this sudden interruption. "You?!"

The second person, behind Mallus, looked as well. But, as he peeked at Karl, he became the most shocked of the three. Is that...?

Karl finally saw the dealer's face, thanks to the shining moonlight. And, he couldn't believe his eyes.

"Ri'bassa?"

The cat-man kept silent. Mallus, however, was not. "What are you doing here, whelp? Shouldn't you be snuggled in your bunk by now?!"

"I've heard enough!" Karl shouted, not daring to believe the scene before him. "You're an addict, Legate! A disgrace to the Legion and the Empire!"

"Boy, you've got the wrong idea." Mallus said coolly, despite being accused.

But, without warning, Ri'bassa charged at Mallus, tackling him down. Whereas Karl, noticing the incoming Khajiit at the last second, swung his sword downwards. The blade tripped down Ri'bassa, knocking him as well. Karl then pinned him to the ground.

"Please. Nord. You don't understand." Ri'bassa sputtered.

"I thought I knew you." Karl answered back.

Behind, Mallus regained his footing, and approached them. "Khajiit, you've committed a crime against the Empire and her people."

Karl noticed the sudden change of character. "Oh, you're a Legionnaire again?" He scoffed disrespectfully.