Chapter 1

He shifted uncomfortably in the seat, this was new for him, flying in coach. His long legs ached from being in the tight space, he was thankful for the window to his left. He watched as the plane began its final descent, he nudged his wife as she slept.

She turned to him, "what is it now?" She asked, "I swear you are like traveling with a child"

He pointed out the window, "we're almost home" he said softly, though they no longer had a home, they had nothing.

"Anthony Owen Ruzek, don't you dare do it!" Kim yelled as she came upon Anthony holding a black sharpie inches from Harper's face, everyone had warned her about the terrible twos but they failed to mention the terroristic three and ferocious fours.

He giggled and took off for his bedroom, Harper's face free from marker. She scooped the one year old up in her arms "Harper Grace, what are we going to do with that big brother of yours?"

"Kim, did you know Anthony had this?" Annie held the black sharpie up, "he's redecorated his bedroom by the way"

"He's a mess. He tried to draw on Harper but I caught him" Harper reaching out for Annie, "do you have class today?"

Annie took Harper from her, "I do. Trey should be here shortly to pick me up, so you don't have to take me today"

"Trey, huh?" The two had been spending a lot of time together, "you and my nephew are almost inseparable"

She watched as Annie blushed, "please, don't you start too" Adam already brought it up with her "Adam was interrogating me the other night"

Kim laughed, "your brother is just looking out for you"

"I know but he doesn't need to worry about Trey, we're just friends" Annie told her, but it wasn't really true, she really liked Trey but he was head over heels for some girl at the college.

They heard a car honk, "that's Trey I better go" she handed Harper back to Kim and grabbed her books from the sideboard, "see you later"

Kim followed her, "you need to tell my nephew to come inside when he picks you up"

"Yea, sure."

Adam came into the living room, a serious case of bed head, "who the hell was honking?" He asked as he rubbed his eyes, "it's barely eight o'clock in the morning" he grumbled, "whoever it was needs to learn how to ring a fucking doorbell"

Kim sighed "aren't you Mr.Chipper, this morning" she wasn't sure what time he had come to bed last night, obviously it was late. "Why don't you try and go back to bed" she suggested to him.

"Nope. I'm up now" he sat at the table, "hey sweet pea, can daddy have a bite" he stole the muffin off the tray, "where's Anthony?"

Kim pointed down the hall, "in his bedroom" she held the marker up, "he was trying to write on Harper, and Annie said he colored the walls"

"That was Trey honking, wasn't it?" He asked, "that boy needs to get out of his damn car when he picks my sister up"

"I already told her Adam, she will talk to Trey" she handed him a cup of coffee, "please drink this, you really don't need to worry about Annie and Trey, they're just friends"

He glanced at her, "yeah okay. Keep telling yourself that" he could tell his sister liked Trey, he remembered their conversation from a few nights ago "my sister definitely likes your nephew"

Kim grabbed the magic eraser from under the sink, "what time did you get in last night anyway?"

Adam ran his hand through his hair, "three thirty quarter to four, the case is a tough one" he still had the images burned in his mind's eye of the bodies they found in the woods.