I Own You

The corporal avoided you like the plague. No matter what, that man would not face you. Your orders from him always came from somebody else and, if you confronted him, he would ignore you and return to his office where he'd lock the door. It flabbergasted you to no end! He was your superior, Humanities Strongest Soldier, for God's sake! And he couldn't even face you? What the hell was up with that?!

  For that answer, you decided to confront the only person you knew who was semi-close to the man – Squad Leader Hanji Zoe. You gave a few ratts on the door to her office, not really sure how to word your question. From behind the door, you heard muffled voices. One was definitely Hanji's, but you couldn't tell the other. Not until –

  "We can talk about this later, Shitty Glasses, now answer your fucking door!"

  You heard footsteps and retreated backwards as the door suddenly swung open. Standing in the doorway was the subject of your questions – Corporal Levi. You gave a salute quickly to the short man frozen in the doorway, but the stoic corporal swiftly and stiffly brushed by you and down the corridor. You watched his retreating form with a confused expression until he turned down another hall.

  "So! – what can I help you with, cadet?!" cheered Hanji's voice, startling you. You jumped, turning your attention to her.

  "I'm sorry to bother you, Squad Leader. But, it's kind of hard to explain," you chuckled nervously. Hanji grinned widely at you,

  "C'mon on in kiddo! Make yourself at home!" You smiled at her as she invited you in and pointed you to a chair. Hanji's office was messy, and had a blackboard covered in scribbles. You tried to take in as much as you could as you sat. Hanji plopped across from you in her chair, absentmindedly stacking mountains of papers so she could see you. "What's u –?"

  "Does Corporal Levi hate me?" you asked bluntly. Hanji cringed, eyes widening as she fell out of her chair. You gasped, standing and peeking around the desk. "Hanji, are you all right?!"

  "I – I'm fine," she chuckled nervously as she pulled herself up. "You just surprised me a bit."
  "Why?" You placed yourself back in your seat and watched as she uneasily sat back in her chair. Why was she suddenly so nervous?

  "I – um – j-just not, um, many people come to my office! And, uh, especially not asking about the Corporal! – But the Corporal! The Corporal's fine, he's fine. He's normal! Why? – Do you think he's not fine? Why would he be not fine? Did he do something to make you think he's not fine? Why – Why would he not be – normal, or fine?" Hanji chuckled nervously, eyeing you with an anxious smile and her left eye twitched furiously. You raised an eyebrow, before looking at the door.

  "Well, he never – looks – at me. And I don't mean in a romantic way or anything. He just – doesn't look at me. He won't even stand in the same room as me for more than half a minute. And he's never directly given me an order, except for the first day of training. And, if I confront him about it, he completely ignores me like I'm invisible. It doesn't make sense, and nobody else knew. They were all more surprised he didn't yell at me for questioning my superior. So you were the next logical choice, since you seem to be closer to him. I was just hoping you knew something – anything. Have I done something wrong, or...?" you explained, before staring at Hanji. The woman's eyebrows were drawn together, her face paler, and her quivering lip was caught between her teeth. Hanji quickly shot up out of chair, and grabbed your arm, hauling you up.

  "N-Nothing's wrong with Levi!" she chuckled nervously, toting you towards the exit. "D-Don't worry your pretty little head about it! I-I'm sure you're just overthinking it! He's normal, he's fine! Did I mention he's normal? Now, if you'll excuse, I have lots of important things to do!"