premise.

Disclaimer: First of all, I have to say that this story is inspired by many games and manga/anime that I played/watched/loved over the years: Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X, and XIII, Gensosuikoden V, Mana Khemia 2, Frozen Throne/Warcraft II/DoTa Allstars, Bleach, Fairy Tail, and 1/2 Prince. To tell the truth, I got this idea for the story while playing Final Fantasy VIII, and then, as I tried to figure out how to make it more interesting, I decided on making Dream World a VRG (Virtual Reality Game), and then 1/2 Prince accidentally came to mind. I hope nobody minds that I borrowed 1/2 Prince's idea and also the other games' and anime's ideas...

P.S.: In Dream World, many are beautiful/handsome. Because it's a game, and games are like that. :P

:

:

:

:

:

:

into

a

fantasy

:

by betweenyoursandmine

:

:

:

:

:

premise.

HE STARES AT THE shiny black helmet in his hand. It has a label 'Dream World' on it, the font having a striking similarity to Estrangelo Edessa.

He thinks about what it can change for him. The company said that once you die, the game ends for you, and if ever you had spent twenty years or more or even less in Dream World, the time that would elapse in the real world will only be a full two hours.

Of course, he thinks that it's a tad unbelievable, but it's worth a try.

He does not have anything else to do in the real world, after all.

:

THE MOMENT HE ENTERS the game at 2:00 on the dot, an NPC appears in front of him.

The NPC is a girl about three years younger than him, and she has short black hair cut into a fashionable bob along with an oval-shaped face and cheerful grey eyes. When she smiles at him, he notices a dimple on her right cheek.

"Hello, gamer!" Her voice is soft, yet having that computer-like lilt to it. "Welcome to Dream World, the Earth's very first Virtual Reality Game. I am Shara, your beginner's guide. Nice to meet you!"

He nods slightly, feeling a little uncomfortable.

"Now, gamer," Shara continues on cheerfully, "I am sure that you are eager to get it on with, so I will now proceed to the Looks category. What would you like to change about yourself?"

In a flash, he is surrounded by buttons with labels on them. A mirror is then placed in front of him.

There are seven buttons all in all. The first one is labelled Hair, the second Eyes, the third Face Paint/Mask, the fourth Makeup, the fifth Beauty Marks/Facial Hair, the sixth Scars/Tattoos, and the seventh Accessories and Clothes.

He looks at them for a brief moment, then presses the Hair button and then the Colors button. He taps on the blue-black palette, waits for the transformation to take change, then turns towards Shara. "I don't have anything left to change," he tells her quietly.

Shara smiles. "Okay then. I shall now proceed to the Type category. Please choose what type you would like to become."

The buttons and mirror are immediately replaced by seven radio buttons with texts beside each. The first is labelled Usual Type, the second Rune Type, the third Sorcerer/Sorceress Type, the fourth Sword-Magic type, the fifthInventory Type, the sixth Demon Type, and the seventh Alchemy Type.

"The Usual Type is the most basic yet, in a way, the most powerful if you know how to use it well and if you have the potential. In this type, you can attack, steal, and summon Guardians. Rune Type is a rather difficult yet damaging type; purchasing Runes in stores is very rare, so you'd have to find them yourself most of the time-and even fight for it-because what the store merchants sell are often the common ones. When you equip a powerful Rune, you can deal your enemy with a lot more damage than you can imagine. But you can have one Rune when you choose this type to begin with. Now, in the Sorcerer/Sorceress Type, you initially have two magics of your own to start with; you can choose from the different magics in the selection."

He listens closely, eyes closed.

"In Sword-Magic, you start out with an ordinary-looking sword, but in truth, that sword can release its magic once you utter its command. So, it's sort of like the Sorcerer/Sorceress Type and the Usual type. Next is theDemon Type. This is a very dangerous type. You become a Demon and can change into several forms-namely, a beast, a werewolf, a vampire, a bear, a bat, and a crow. You will have the ability to use Dark Magic and Shape Shift. However, even though this type sounds really powerful, it is only for those who know how to control themselves. Lastly, the Alchemy Type. This type is, in a way, the weakest of all types, since a gamer who chooses this type is only going to mostly-or rather, commonly-be a support character. The Alchemy Type gives you the ability to heal, make power-ups with the right ingredients and give then to your comrades, and also the ability to fight, although you have to figure out how, because there are various ways on how to make an effective offense in Alchemy. But then, most gamers give up trying. The most important pro when you become an Alchemy Type is that you have an unlimited supply of potions." Shara takes a deep breath, then smiles earnestly. "So then, what will you be, gamer?"

He does not hesitate. "Usual Type."

Shara's smile grows wider. "All right, then! Let's get started."

Suddenly, a 480/480 appears above his head along with a 200/200 below the 480/480 and a "Level 1" above the latter.

"The 480/480 is your HP or Hit Points. Once they run out, you become a KO. Someone has to give you a Phoenix Down in order to revive you. Once you become KO-ed for four days, you're out of the game. Namely, you're dead already. For good. The 200/200 is your MP or Mana Points. They decrease when you use magic or summon Guardians. Only you can see your HP and MP. They will not be shown to you above your head like right now, but in your mind only, and only if you wish to see them. If you are in danger of running out of either of them, they will alert your body and flash inside you, so there is no way that you cannot know your state. The level which you are in now is 1. You will level up once you fight monsters and creatures and also other opponents and sparring partners. The number of Experience Points or EXP you will obtain will depend on how strong the opponents you fight are. Now, I will send you to Heying Town, where beginners are usually sent. Good luck."

He nods, understanding.

As he starts to disappear little by little, she asks, "By the way, gamer, what is the name you want to use in Dream World?"

He looks at her for a moment before turning away.

"Scott," he says slowly. "Scott Wayland."