Chapter 1

"Back to the street

down on our feet,

losing the feeling of unique.

Do you know what I mean?"

~ Nine in the Afternoon

Sometimes I think that school would be a little more bearable if it didn't start so early in the morning. To all you lucky twats who have the privilege of afternoon school, I just want to say that I hate you, and you aren't aware of your good fortune.

I heard my mum yelling at me to get up, to which I responded with dying whale noises. I stayed under the covers, savouring the last few moments of warmth and comfort before dragging myself out of bed and into the bathroom. The shower helped to wake my senses up a bit.

Wiping the fogged up mirror with my palm, I stared at my reflection.

Well, it can't be helped.

Despite the fact that it limits your self-expression, going to a school which has mandatory uniforms (which is basically every school in India) saves one from the ordeal of picking the outfits in the morning. I don't need that kind of pressure in my life.

My hair detangles only after 10 minutes of gentle brushing, aggressive tugging and eventually, verbal abuse. I managed to tie it in a (borderline decent) fishtail braid, and pulled out the sections to make it look messier (that's 'in', right?), mentally thanking the beauty vloggers on YouTube that I pretended to hate in public. I was still quite groggy, but I managed to finish getting dressed and everything in time.

I grabbed half a sandwich, convinced my mother that I will be okay even if I didn't eat the other half and ran out of my flat to press the elevator button which was threateningly descending from only two floors above mine. The rest of the walk to school was a blurry, sleepy memory once I reached the classroom.