Chapter 2

Ren was peaking through the crack in between the rock and the ground. She could only see the Banshees and a couple of sleepwalkers. Ren guessed she was safe for now.

Ren grabbed her lumpy, handmade bow and her poorly carved arrowheads. She got out of her home and bolted for the blackened forest, just two minutes from where she was.

Ren was hoping to catch some animals, if there were any more left, or find some surviving berries. She found a birds nest with a couple of Magpies in it. Ren bent down in her shooting position, aimed her arrow, but before she could shoot, she heard something.

Immediately, she dove for cover on the ground and waited for the forest to be quiet again. She got back up and the birds were gone. Ren headed back home with a branch of berries she picked up along the way, and a loss of hope for living.

Before Ren left the forest, she gasped for air as she stared at the Skriller just outside the tree line. She suddenly stopped breathing, her eyes  only on the Skriller and nothing else. Slowly, she stepped backward away from the Skriller, but she had been spotted. Ren was so scared, she didn't notice the sleepwalker two steps behind her.

It was too late. The Sleepwalker had woken up, and Ren was already running for her life. Not thinking about the Skriller she had just passed. Ren was so close, but the sleepwalker had caught up to her.

Ren was on the ground, Sleepwalker tearing at what she had left for arms which were poorly protecting her battered face. The Skriller arrived and threw the Sleepwalker aside. That gave Ren just enough time to get up and continue running.

When Ren reached her rock, she couldn't walk but clumsily and quickly crawled into her hole under the rock. The Skriller lost track of Ren and the Sleepwalker went back to sleep.

Ren began to relax a little before realizing that she had dropped her berries in the chase. The wounds from the Sleepwalker were great, the throbbing pain kept her awake all night. Another night without food.