Chapter 1: Born

March 31, 1998

A young woman of about 20 years old was getting ready to give birth to her first child. She looked around the small room: In a few more hours she’ll be finally giving birth to her first child. How wonderful, she thought.

A few minutes before, she had been arguing with her husband. She was trying to convince him to go fetch something to eat since both of them weren't able to eat since last night; after he brought her over to the hospital for having stomach cramps. Then they gave her the wonderful news that her cramps were a signal that she was about to give birth.Though her water fountain hadn't been broken yet. It seemed to her a little too early since she had calculated her birthing date was to be on April 10 but still she still was delighted.

In the end, she was able to convince her husband to go fetch a quick snack and come back. She smiled at the thought of her husband running down the first floor of the hospital just to go get some snickers. Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted by contractions.

At first, she was just trying to endure the pain; however, the pain grew so much that it came to a point where she could not bear it anymore and started crying out in pain.

A nurse, which was trying to get a rest next door, got so

annoyed by her cries that she got up, grabbed a needle, filled it with tranquilizer and walked slowly toward the lady next door. The nurse didn’t even check if the needle was used or not, nor did she care; she just wanted to sleep. Little did she know that she was just about to commit the biggest mistake of her whole life.

The young women just looked at the nurse as she got closer to her. She thought the nurse came to help her so she didn’t put any resistance at the wishes of that selfish women. She just felt the poke of the needle and a few minutes later she was out of herself. She just fell into deep darkness, not knowing that she was to never see a morning as beautiful as that day’s ever.

Meanwhile, a young man of about 22 years old was running down the hallway of that hospital in order to see one person in particular: his wife. He was quite tall and was wearing a red long sleeved shirt even though the day was quite hot. His hair was blonde and his eyes were green; such a perfect combination. Any women who’d see him would immediately fall for him. He was running so fast he almost crashed into an old lady on a wheeled chair.

When he got to his wife’s room, he noticed something strange was going on. First, her wife was sleeping. True, she wasn’t able to sleep last night because of the cramps, but she also wasn’t the type to fall asleep fast. Did he take too long?

No, it’s impossible, he thought. He was running at full speed. He couldn’t have been gone for more than 5 minutes.

He took a step closer into the room. Then he noticed her heart-beat was over 150 beats-per-second. Was that normal? He didn't know, he never took any nursery classes nor read anywhere what a normal heart-beat should be, so he guessed her heart-beat was normal. He walked next to her bed and looked at her face closely. Ah, Elizabeth, he said to himself; you’re so beautiful, even in your sleep, he murmured. Suddenly, she started moving in a strange manner. Blood and bubbles of saliva were coming out of her mouth. Her body was moving violently; her back twisted and her arms too. He recalled that behavior from her long dead mother: She was having a seizure. He panicked: ran out of the room and started screaming for help.

Soon enough his wife’s room was filled with doctors and nurses. In order to keep him out of the room three male nurses were holding him. “What’s wrong with my wife, someone please tell me!” he cried out while trying to free himself from the nurses’ grip. The nurses tried to calm him down, by telling him comforting words like, she’ll be alright or don’t worry the doctor’s here; however, he had a bad feeling. He was feeling so desperate that he was crying too. The nurses pitied the young man. His desperate tears and cries were so moving that the nurses felt like crying, too.

“Don’t worry Sir, Elizabeth will be alright,” said one of the nurses. The young man, in response, told him all that he had seen on her wife after walking in the room.

“I can still hear her voice telling me ‘Oh, Gary we’re having a baby!’, she was so excited about it, now I don’t even know what happened to her, the doctor told us she’d have no problem giving birth, what went wrong?” Gary said. The young nurse thought about all of Gary’s wife’s symptoms and asked him if she had any allergies. Gary told him to penicillin. The young nurse thought hard and waited for the doctors to come out in order to go inspect the room.

An hour later, a doctor came out carrying a small but fragile object wrapped around a blanket.

“Congratulations Sir, it’s a beautiful baby girl,” the doctor said. Gary stood dumbfounded. It took him a while to process those words. My baby is born, he said to himself. My baby is born. “I’m a Father, I’m a Father!” he shouted so the whole world could hear him. “I’m a FATHER!”

He moved his arms in front of the doctor, indicating he wanted to carry his daughter. The doctor shook his head.

“I can’t let you carry this child until you hear me out,” the doctor said in a gentle manner. Gary was confused but nodded slowly in response to the doctor’s comment.

“Your daughter has a slight defect on both of her eyes, she is not blind but will have problems focusing things beyond one foot of distance,” the doctor started. Then, he took a step backwards and said in a low, serious tone “Your wife is dead, she could not make it.”

Gary’s world was torn into tiny little pieces. Dead…? It must be some kind of joke, he thought.  Elizabeth can’t be dead. Then as if all of his strength had been sucked out of his body, he fell on his knees: Tears falling gently from his eyes.

“This can’t be, no, please; God, don’t take her away from me, not her please, not her!” Gary cried out. Then he started sobbing uncontrollably.