Chapter 14

Rhett stepped away from Link dumbfounded, unable to comprehend what he had just done. He had just done what felt right, not thinking about it any further. It was an impulse. He hadn't considered the consequences. He knew that kissing Link like that was unforgivable. He was putting everything on the line: their jobs, their families, their relationship.

Link's jaw clenched and Rhett could've swore he could saw a fire in those beautiful blue eyes. Link raised a fist. Rhett had no intention of fighting him, so instead of defending himself he let loose a little exhale of defeat and shut his eyes, bracing himself for impact.

His stomach lurched as Link's knuckles slammed into his gut causing him to stumble backwards. He managed to regain his balance. As the world came back into focus Rhett realized that Link was turning on his heals and heading for the door leaving Rhett alone with the tittering crew members.

"Link, wait!" He shouted chasing after him.

Link turned briefly to glare at Rhett. "Fuck you," Link muttered as the sob bubbled through him and tears leaked out of the corners of his eyes.

"I'm sorry-"

"YOU HAVE NO RIGHT, TO MAKE DECISIONS LIKE THAT. I trusted you. I thought-" he gulped "I thought we were in this together. You and me, we make a whole. We aren't supposed to make decisions without the other person. Rhett," Link looked up into Rhetts eyes, his pain was all too obvious. "Rhett, you betrayed me."

"Don't say that, I love you. Please, I just--" he felt a surge of emotions swell though his chest. "Please don't leave me," he pleaded drifting a hand over Link's cheek.

Link glanced back towards where the crew members stood mesmerized by the unfolding events.

"I will always love of you," he whispered against Rhett's hand, "but we can't carry on like this. I'm sorry." His hand clasped the doorknob. "Goodbye, gorgeous," he sighed softly before slipping through the door away from Rhett's fingertips.

Rhett stood stunned, his abdomen aching and his pride crushed. He bowed his head sniffling back tears as the eyes of his witnesses curiously watched for his every move. He didn't dare look up at them as he headed for the office to wallow in his misery. His world had crumbled before his eyes within a matter of moments and he couldn't put it back together again. NOthing would ever be the same again.