Chapter 9

Elle

It's times like these that I step back and think about what a waste the years of my life have been. I should have stood up to my mum. I shouldn't have lived like that. I did have a choice.

Harrys arm around my shoulder is comforting but seeing him hug Jess like that did something to me. I felt almost sad at the fact he gave her as much attention as he did me. It's almost as if I am being possessive yet he isn't mine and I'm not his.

I feel myself lean into him, craving more of his touch and I have no idea why.

Jess looks at me almost worriedly, maybe she likes Harry and wants me to back off. Or maybe Harry isn't all she thought he'd be. I can never tell what people are thinking with just a look. But I wish I could. That would make things a whole lot easier.

Harry goes back to cooking breakfast and removes his arm from my shoulder. It feels cold without his touch.

"Okay this is all done" he says plating it up. Jess carries hers to the sofa and sits there stretching out her legs. I take the opposite sofa and cross my legs with the plate resting on my lap.

Harry brings his plate over and scans the three sofas. His eyes rest on me and he decides to sit by me. However there's a gap between us.

I want to close the gap and move closer to him but I feel as if I need him more than he needs me so I stay put, on my end of the sofa.

"So uh how drunk did I get?" Jess asks between mouthfuls of beans on toast.

"you were high." I say "like really high, you were being all weird about Harry"

"Oh yeah, sorry I really don't remember anything that happened" she says.

"So how do you two know each other?" I ask flicking my head between the two. Harrys face turns blank and Jess looks at her plate, concentrating on cutting up some bacon.

They try and answer at the same time before curtly stopping and re-evaluating their answers.

"We were childhood friends." Jess replies smoothly shooting a glance at Harry who fills his mouth worth sausage pieces.

"Yeah we haven't seen each other in a while" Harry nods after he's finished his mouthful.

"Oh okay, well thanks for breakfast it really helps with the hangover" I mumble in response, not knowing what else to say.

After I'm done I place my plate on the overflowing pile of plates. It wobbles and I steady it so it balances without falling.

"So I was thinking about heading to the societies fair to see what kind of stuff to sign up for" Jess says Downing a glass of water straight afterwards.

"Yeah that's a good idea" I say tidying up a few bits here and there.

I look at Harry wondering what he wants to do.

"You can tag along if you want" I say to him and he turns his attention to me, obviously he had been deep in thought.

"Thanks but I have some stuff to do today, sorry" he shrugs as he speaks. "I should probably head off anyways.

He walks into my room and picks up his shoes. He puts them on one by one whilst leaning against the sofa and hobbling around a little. He finds his jacket and then gives Jess a brief hug goodbye.

He brings me in for a hug that lasts much longer. His whole body is pressed up against mine and he holds on tightly as if he never wants to let go.

"I'm sorry about the questions last night" he whispers quietly so only I can hear. "And sorry for crying"

He nuzzles his nose into the hair on the top of my head. He breathes in deeply.