Prologe

"Ashley be quiet he's gonna get us" i say. if she doesn't be quiet we could get killed.
"but sissy, i'm scared" she says. tears start rolling down her face, she is truly scared and sad.
I can only protect her from the truth for so long until someone tells her.
"Ashley it's ok. just look at me, we'll be fine but you can't talk" i say. i hear someone walk to the basement door and jiggle the handle, luckily i locked it to give us some time before the police show up.
"but sis it's dark and you know i'm afraid of the dark" she starts crying harder.
"shhh ashley be quiet. we're gonna get caught." i try to calm her down.
"i can't shush! I want mommy!!" she says, i little bit louder then a whisper. I can't imagine the way she's gonna  react to the news that she has no mommy. she's going to be heartbroken.
"ok um lets play a game Ash, it's a game where if you talk the you have to eat a spider" i say hoping the thought of eating a spider will shut her up.
"oh kinda like the quiet game?" she asks, by now the tear have subsidded.
"yes, exactly like the quiet game" i say quickly. i hear the basement door unlocked and open. theres a shadow on the wall the moves away, almost as if the person walked away. 
"ok. 1-2-3 go" she says. i hope she can stay quiet long enough for the person to leave.
i hear a small noise then someone started coming down the stairs. 
he has a flashlight. 
"The power must be out" i think.  the person walks towards the couch, as he gets to the corner of the couch we hear a loud thud upstairs. the guy runs up the stairs and i hear someone shout.
"POLICE!!! PUT THE WEAPON DOWN NOW!!!" i don't recognize the voice. 
it got quiet but i could tell someone was talking but it was muffled by the sound of footsteps all through the kitchen and living room.
i stand up and grab Ashley, we walk to the front of the couch, if worst comes to worst i'll push Ash behind something and i'll distract the people from Ash unless it's a cop.
all the sudden i hear loud gun shots and a thud, as if a body fell or something heavy got knocked over.
"sissy, what was that?" ashley says. i can't tell her someone just got killed. it's so hard to tell a little girl that someone is dead.
"i-i- i don't know ash." i say. i'm lying of course any one who didn't know that it was a gunshot would have to be deaf or really young. i hear footsteps heading towards the stairs. i turn towards ashley and whisper to her. "Ok ashley, lets play another game" i really hope she listens, if she got hurt because of me, i'd never forgive myself. "you're going to hide under the stairs and don't move or say anything." i say. hoping she understands.
"but what about you" she says. she's wprried about me but i can't tell her what might happen or else we could both loose our lives.
"i'll be over there shortly, but i need you to go now before it's to late" i say. i try to keep from crying but it's hard.
"ok sissy" she says, she runs over to the stairs and hides. she's small enough where it hides her pretty well.
i run to a shelf in the corner of the basement. the moon in the window provides just enough light for me to see my way around the room so i can make out objects in here.
i open the top drawer and i reach in the very back of the drawer. i move my hand around to feel for something. i run my fingures over a book and i grab it.
i pull the book out and open it. it's a secret compartment to hide a small object. a gun.
i load the gun and hide behind the couch, i have it ready in case i need it to defend myself.
there's footsteps running down the stairs.
i take a deep breath and next thing i know theres a person right in front of the couch. 
"Annabeth? please come out. i'm with the police and i'm here to help you" a man says.
he sounds vagley familiar.
i stand up and hold the gun by my side, all i got to do is aim and shoot if i need to.
the guy flashes a bright light at my face. and then he sees the gun.
"Annabeth, it's ok. it's me. Brandon" he says.
i know that name. he's a friend of my mother... my dead mother... i had been so panicked and worried about Ashley that i had forgotten about the grief of my mother.
i start crying. 
"Anna, the guy is dead. I'm here to help you. please let me." 
it's so hot in here. i cant stand it.
it's getting dark....