When the Hangman Goes

The sirens got louder and tears streamed down my face uncontrollably. I took a peek out of my now soaking arms to see Asling crouching on the ground next to Chenzy. The love of my life had a rainbow jump rope ties around his pale neck and his body was motionless. I was glad his head was hanging down, facing the ground, I wouldn't be able to stand looking at his face. He had his favorite suit, buttoned down shirt, shoes, and one of his only black pants. His buttoned down short was a beautiful lilac, his shoes were a reflecting black, his tie a silky plum, and his suit was the most delicate and expensive one in the world. 

The sight of Asling bending next to Chenzy was heart breaking. It only made my breath quicken. Her red hair covered her face completely and her body was shaking rapidly, her palms lay flat against the garage floor in front of her as she stared towards the ground. The poor girl, she was always a people person, never felt the loss of a close relative. 

I watched for Lock who came into sight and tried to cheer Asling up like he did to me. He licked her face then rubbed his head against her body similar to a cat. He let out a small whimper then went back to licking her face, she wouldn't budge. 

I stood up from the couch and headed to to the garage, I bent down next to Asling and put my arm around her. She leaned in to my body then put her arm around my waist as we stood up simultaneously, still wrapped in each other's comfort. 

We both took our other arm and placed them on the other person, holding each other in silence, until the doorbell rang. 

I picked my head up to find her eyes were locked on mine, we unraveled from the hug and dragged our feet to the front door. I sniffled, took a deep breath, then opened the door staring at the ground. 

"Hello, Valentina Baker?" A deep voice asked. 

"Y-yes, that's me," I softly spoke as I looked up. 

"Your neighbor, Madame McKinley, called. She said there was a death, is that correct?" the policeman said those words with such ease, as if death is nothing. 

"Y-yes. My husband, Charlie Baker." 

"I'm so sorry for your loss... anyway... we," he motioned to the people behind him I hadn't noticed, one other policeman and maybe four medical staff, "will be taking him. Could you please escort us to his body?" 

I turned around, not wanting him to see my face for another second, and walked through the living room then stopped. I pointed to the garage door and watched six pairs of feet walk into the garage and the clicking of the shoes stopped. 

There it is. Shock. Nobody expected that. They expected a natural death or something related to health. My legs have out and I crumbled to the floor with a waterfall of tears pouring out of my eyes than I thought possible. I tumbled onto my back and squeezed my eyes shut trying to stop the tears. I took deep breaths hoping the tears would stop. Nothing ever goes my way, nothing.

Gentle hands ran through my head rubbing up and down, I figured it was Asling, if they belonged to a man they would have been rougher. I heard gaily footsteps hop to my body and a tongue licked my face, then a furry body lay next to me, resting his furry head on my shoulder. 

I heard mumbled of manly voices coming and screeches from the rusty garage doors opening up. Wheels rolled on the ground, stopped momentarily, then continued rolling. A motor started and left the driveway, No sirens.

Clicks from shoes continued to move across the floor, sobbing and that was all that could be heard. 

"I'm sorry, Miss Baker, I truly am," a younger, quiet voice that sounded so sweet and lovely said to me. 

"Th-thank you..." I managed to say. 

"Zachary Feelds. Call me Zac, please." 

"Oh. Ok." 

I expected clicks of a shoe to start bouncing off the walls, but none began. I waited a little longer, long enough for my breath to go back to a safer speed. Soon enough, the clicks sounded, but they got louder and were spread apart. 

Locky's little body moved off of me and he pranced away, a snap from a knee cracking came out silently next to my ear. I opened my eye the slightest bit and saw a handsome man in baby blue scrubs next to me seated on the ground. 

He noticed I was staring and gave a weak smile, he rubbed my tears off from under my eye, "He had a reason to leave. He's in the hands of God now, safe in heaven." 

"Heaven," I simply stated. 

"That's right. Any man who has such a wonderful person like you in his life has to have a big heart," he brought his thumb to push my hair back, out of my eyes. I let out another sob and a few more tears, "If you're going to cry, cry for the life he had and mourn for the loss of a great man in your life. Don't cry for the thought of him dying in such a way. Don't cry for him leaving you by choice. He had some reason, maybe he was protecting you or he couldn't control himself, your home and your arms were his safety. Don't cry over that." 

"S-sorry. But... thanks." 

"Don't be sorry. Everyone experiences loss in their life and it's hard for everyone, no matter how strong," his encouraging words kept on escaping his mouth. This man is going to heaven for sure. 

He lifted me up and I noticed Asling already sat up, he positioned me so that I rested on him. He wrapped his arms around me and held me. I closed my eyes and memories of Chenzy flashed through my mind. 

When we went to a water park together and he spilled his soda on me and bought me a new shirt, when he met my parents for the first time and he laughed so much that he spit the water out of his mouth an his face turned crimson. When I met his parents and all they did was smile and laugh as I told old jokes I knew while Chenzy made fun of how horrible they were. When I had Joli and he held my hand throughout the birth and did everything I told him, when we got married and I spilled water over his face and he just laughed it off. And when we bought our own house and said we would live in the cute little house as one big happy family. 

"Shhh," the young voice calmingly said. 

"Where did they take Chenzy?" Asling whispered as quietly as she could. 

"Right now, they're putting him in a coffin. They'll hold him until the funeral," Zac whispered, more soundlessly than Asling. 

Death just doesn't go away that fast, now does it?

Sorry I haven't posted anything in such a long time, I use the app that doesn't allow me to put any italics or bold in it so I had to wait until I got hold of a computer. Anyways, tell me what you think of it so far and how I can improve it. Thanks! <3