Ch 1

"A little to the left," I mumble as my dad adjusts my black guitar on the wall of my new room. In our new house. In a new state. A state thousands of miles away from our sunny California home. This sucks some seriously major ass.

"So, kiddo. What do ya think?" I look up and blankly stare at my dad. He really doesn't get it does he? I've had to leave home and all my friends. Okay so it's only two friends but still. New York is cold and rainy almost all the time.

I roll my eyes,"Trust me, you really don't want to know what I think of this dump." As soon as the words leave my mouth, I feel bad. My dad looks like a kicked puppy. I mentally slap myself. Dad's always been sensitive and kind but after the accident he's been extremely fragile.

"I mean, there aren't words to describe my happiness. The Big Apple. Yay."

"Wen, you always know what to say when your old man is feeling down." My dad smiles. His eyes don't crinkle like they used to but it's a start. He's getting better.

Meow.

I hear Midnight yowling for my attention. I look at my dad putting stuff in my room and stand to leave. As I'm walking out the door our eyes meet and for a second everything seems normal. I feel safe and secure in the deep blue of dad's eyes.

My eyes, on the other hand, normally put people on edge. My purple eyes are a scientific miracle. A 98%  chance that I would have blue eyes. I find a way to squeeze into the 2%. I've always been kind of short.

My dad wishes my eyes were blue now. Every time he looks into my eyes he sees mom's dead ones. The pain and regret is clear on his face. It rips me heart apart.

I walk out and blink back tears. Stumbling over a few boxes, I make it to the kitchen.  Midnight can eat out of my hand tonight. I don't feel like unpacking his bowl.

I scoop a handful of cat food and sit there to let him eat. When he's finished I pet his furry black head.

"Two unwanted, bad luck misfits. Hey, look, the story of our lives, buddy."

I shower and get ready to go to sleep. Before crawling in bed, I grab my white, opal necklace of the dresser. Sleeping with it keeps me calm. And stops the nightmares.