Chapter Two: Not My Fault

Skylar Moon

"Look," I take time to look at my whole group and lock eyes with everyone," this isn't what anyone wants to hear, especially with a large group like ours, but we need to move locations. And soon. As of now, we're in Ohio. It won't take long to get to Washington D.C. That's where we're headed. There are rumors of an underground city that was built by the government. We'll try to find it."

"But why do we have to go?" Tim looks up at me with wide eyes.

"It's getting harder to find food." I answer honestly. "I'd rather not leave, but we need to. It's going to be better in the end."

"Promise?"

"I promise. So, we leave tomorrow morning." I look around the room I've come to think of as home. "Gather your things tonight. We'll want to cover as much ground as possible during the day, because it'll take longer to find decent shelters for the night."

Travelling is tough. Ollie and I really push ourselves, because we often can't find good shelters at night so we end up having to guard. He and I are really the only ones equipped for an instant attack. But surprisingly, the Vaixah aren't popping up and attacking us like I originally thought. "Okay," I kneel next to the fire, looking at Ollie," what's different? In Ohio, there were constantly attacks. Now they hardly happen."

"I... I don't know."

"Maybe it's the landscape. We were often in open areas during the attacks. Now we're typically in the woods, where it's closed off. That must be it."

"Should we... test that theory?"

I pause, examining our group. "I don't know. I'd hate myself if something bad happened just because of our theory."

"But, we have you. And me. And the others. Our odds are pretty good."

"Okay. Tomorrow, we'll pick a spot. Now go to your camp, I'm on watch for a while if you need me."

"Yes ma'am."

I lean against the tree, looking up at the sky. The stars shine brightly, and the moon is just a sliver of light against the black of the sky. I let my shoulders relax, continuing to stare into space. I shift my gaze, examining the area. There's screaming. Horrible screaming that wakes me. I'm still against the tree, only now our makeshift camp is flooded with Vaixah. I see Tim, just a young child. Completely innocent. His chest and throat are both torn open. I jump to my feet, unsheathing my sword, pure sorrow fuelling anger. Anger that I use to fight, and to kill. I cry out as a Vaixah claws my left forearm and part of my stomach before I manage to drive my sword through his heart. I stand panting raggedly, looking around. Dead. They're all dead. Because I fell asleep. But we planned for this. Our whole group isn't here. I walk a few miles out, to where a campfire glows in the dark. Everyone here is asleep. Ollie, Sarah, Kristyn and John are in the light. But I know in the shadows, a family of five is asleep. "Ollie." I nudge him with my boot. "Wake up. Ollie!"

The shout echoes in the silent woods, and the whole group awakens. "Hm?" Ollie sits up, taking a swig of water. "What's wrong?"

"They're dead."

His eyes widen. "Who? How?"

"The other group. I was on watch, wide awake one minute and looking around. The next thing I hear is screaming. I opened my eyes, and... the camp was flooded with them." Tears sting my eyes. "I let my guard down. I fell asleep."

"Sky, you know the Vaixah can put people to sleep. It isn't your fault." James, the father in the family of five, tells me. "It could've happened to any of us."

"You're bleeding." His youngest child, Jake, hands me the med kit. "It doesn't look good."

I clean my wounds, and Ollie stitches them before bandaging me up. "You guys stay here," Ollie tells the rest of the group. "Be on guard. Sky and I will gather supplies from the other camp."

We walk in silence, and do most of the gathering in silence. "Sky... you know it's not your fault."

"I know." I clear my throat, picking up a fallen dagger and sheathing it on my hip. "But... it just sucks. All of it."

"For sure. But, the best we can do is survive and help others survive."