Chapter One

It was almost claustrophobic. I couldn't breathe. I pounded against the windows of the glass elevator; and at that exact moment I knew only one would come back out alive. Why? What heartless person would let this happen to us? 12 to 18 year olds lives would be ripped away, for what? Entertainment? What is this sick dystopian land? I was almost sure to be killed, it was inevitable. My heart was beating like a drum. I was shaking violently.

My parents who were both lucky enough to live through the reapings, but instead of them fighting for their fate. I had too. The fear running up my spine, the butterwabbers flying in my stomach, the thought of never seeing my family again, these feelings all contributed to the panic attack I had while shooting up the elevator. I was on my knees crying, praying for my survival. But no one was there to wipe my tears; hold me close. Tell me I was wrong and that I would live. I was in an elevator waiting for death. I could feel the sick in my throat there was nothing I could do now.

It was dark. But at the corner of my eye I could see something. Light! I stood up from my crying position. If I want to survive I needed allies and sponsors. I knew my mentor ( Felicity Carrone) would be back at home supporting me. As soon as I knew it, I was in the arena. Everyone could tell I had been crying. My red eyes didn't hide the fact that I was terrified.

59,58,57...

Unlike me everyone was ready; ready to pounce for whatever item was nearest to them. It was cold.

51,50,49...

I looked around for a good place to hide or find food. Nothing but hills.

38,37,36...

Maybe there was something behind the hills. A forest, a cave?

32,31,30...

The other tributes they looked so determined, they hadn't given up.

25,24,23...

But then I realised why. No matter what their score was, they all still had a chance.

17,16,15...

15 seconds to go and this time I was ready.

10,9,8...

I'm not going to give up on life that easily.

3,2,1...

I'm going to win.