Prom Moment

Whenever you hear the word Prom, the first thing that comes to mind are the sparkly, chic dresses that transform a person's appearance in an instant. For girls, Prom can not only be a night of celebration but also one of good times and celebrations. Without these happy moments and causes for celebration, there is nothing to feel excited about. When you are looking towards the future, Prom is just one of many things that embraces growing-up in life and looking towards the future.

The students at Rose Green Academy were more than excited about their Prom, this year was not only celebrating the class of 2015 but also the 20th anniversary of the school as a whole meaning more time for having fun and embracing the rewards. The Year 11 group was made up of one hundred and twenty students and best friends Elise More and Sasha Ealey were just two of those group students.

Elise and Sasha had been the best of friends since they could walk and talk, their mothers were also friends and both sets of families had often enjoyed holidays together down by the Cornish coast. Both were fifteen but had different appearances altogether. Elise was petite and Sasha was thin and tall. But no matter what, their friendship had taken them through good times but also rough patches in the journey that is called life.

Elise had learning difficulties. Ever since Year 1 at Primary School, her pacing wasn't brilliant and often couldn't finish simple tasks. After a few computer tests, it was revealed just how serious an issue it was and since then, through secondary school, Elise had transformed leaps and bounds into a young woman about to take her first steps away from school and into the big wide world. Elise's dream was to be a teacher, to help students with their work and to give them rewards for their success. First-hand, Elise had seen students transform after not only witnessing but hearing the success stories from her dear uncle who Elise was very fond of. He had gone from just a boy delivering newspapers to working at a top secondary school in London and turned many student lives around for the positive.

There were times when Elise felt that her dream was out of reach but then, there were many times that her best friend propped her up and got her back on that dream pathway.

Sasha's dream was to run her own business, selling sensitive skincare products. Having allergic reactions from a young age had prompted her to develop this idea to make sure that people with sensitive skin did have the products that were tailored just for them and to make them look healthier and feel more body positive. Drama was one of Sasha's favourite subjects and often worked with Elise through plays and assessments to make her feel better about herself.

In the last couple of years, both of them had battled bullies and others sometimes in town yelling insults and comments that were designed to prickle the tears out of them both and cause a negative reaction. Neither of them had been in a relationship and that reason also played a big role in the bullying as for some 'elite poplars' as Elise and Sasha called the tall, domineering students of Rose Green said that being single automatically made you uncool.

But, all this was now in the past and both girls knew that looking towards the future was the best way to approach Prom.

As friends should, they went shopping together along with their mothers, going into various shops and trying on various dresses. Sasha found her lucky break in the second shop, picking out a midnight blue gown with sliver jewels sewed in at the top. Elise meanwhile found the whole situation uncomfortable, dresses and Elise were not best friends and it looked likely that Elise would have nothing to wear.

Two weeks after this trip, Prom night had arrived. Elise sat on the edge of her bed, reflecting on her bad luck.

"I wish that I could be taller, prettier and elegant." she spoke out loud, "But, that's Sasha and not me."