If Sacrificing Means Another

"You're Death?"

Two figures were strolling along a footpath. The young brunette teenager replied, hinting annoyance.

"Tina...you are dead. I have a pulse. I can see you. Do you need any more clarifications?"

"Just checking. I mean any gifted being could fit all of those categories." Tina replied, wearing a playful smile.

"You idiot." the boy retorted.

They both abruptly laughed with glee. The girl pulled the strands of her ebony hair behind her ear.

Tina pondered "So, what exactly happened, Death--?"

The boy suddenly had a dark glare in his eye.

"And...don't call me that. Being responsible for many living being's demises is bad enough..."

"Oh I'm...sorry" Tina muttered.

"It's Blake." he sighed.

"Well, Blake...what happened?"

Blake explained thoroughly "You became a tarrying spirit: a ghost with their death so scarring that their physical form still lives. Usually your soul turns into an intact vessel containing your memories and emotions, like that one over there."

He indicates a nearby small sphere glowing spirit. Blake goes over to it and waves his hand over it, muttering an incantation.

"May your soul resuscitate in the succeeding life. Find lasting peace and prosperity..."

The spirit suddenly glowed intensely until its presence was out of sight.

"It's called reaping. I sent it to the Netherrealm where it can live its next life."

"What's it like there?"

"It's actually not so different from this world. Except the 'sky' is quite dark since the sun is blocked out by the surface. It's almost beneath this Earth except it doesn't collapse in our world. Think of it as a parallel world of where you are would be facing us, if you're facing the ground. That's how we can both stand on our own feet without both worlds collapsing on each other."

Blake sighed in exasperation as he retorted "Geez. Now you're making my recite what my biology teacher taught me..."

"You even have school? Hmph. I guess it's just like this world after all." Tina acknowledged.

Blake resumed but with a bitter tone "To continue, you wandered around the street looking for answers until you passed by me and commented on how my hair looked like a lawnmower had done 50 laps over it. Then I stopped and turned around..."

"And I will still not take back that comment." Tina ridiculed.

Blake straightened his tie in annoyance as he replied coldly "You know...the littlest of things can make me change me mind about your fate..."

"Well, how about you start using the tool called a brush?" Tina retorted.

"Brushing your hair is just another pointless chore. My hair has always been fine." Blake muttered.

Tina admitted that his hair did fit with the rest of his attire. His loosened tie and un-tucked shirt immediately represented 'lazy'.

"So what now, Sir Edgy?"

Blake ignored the cocky retort as he muttered "There is one more thing that I need to know, Tina."

Blake suddenly stopped in the middle of the footpath as he glared to the left of the street.