II - Resurrection

A priest, clad in a long brown robe, and Ruben stepped off their steeds and hurried into the abandoned building. They stepped past the debris of wood and broken chairs, and made their way to the two bodies at the back. A woman, and a boy. Their eyes stared toward the ceiling, but not particularly at anything.

     The priest thought he should say something; though he never sure what to say in situations such as this. "My Magus," the priest eventually said, his head slightly bowed, and a hand across his chest. "I offer you my deepest condo—"

     Ruben waved his staff, and a golden light embraced the corpse of the woman and the boy.

     When they did not react to the spell, the Magus cast it again.

     A healing spell is a privilege for the living. Confounded, the priest raised an arm to stop him. Then, he pulled it back at the last second, and lowered his arm. An uncomfortable lump found its way to his throat, and he found it hard to remain in the presence of the family. The priest turned around, and left the Magus alone.

     He sat outside the church on a grass patch near where the horses were tied. Once every while, a bright golden light would shine from within the church. Once another while, the Magus would murmur something. He heard some words like "forgive", some cursing, and "all my fault." He was sure he could make out every word if he wanted to, but the priest had no such hobby.

     When this continued for several hours, the young priest mustered his courage to stop him. At this rate, even a Magus would wear out from mana exhaustion.

     'Your Magus,' the priest said. 'Pray, stop. They are dead.' But he was not sure if the Magus heard him.

     Ruben did not turn around to look at him, and only cast the heal again. But he dropped his staff midway as his body fell limply onto the ground.

     A woman tucked the sides of her long flaxen hair behind her ears, and stirred a bowl while stealing a quick glance at her son. A giant book with drawings of dragons and knights propped on his laps, and his legs rocked back and forth lazily. She dug into the bowl with a spoon, making sure to include the mashed orangey bits, and blew at it gently before feeding her son.

     Camille learnt when to feed Rudy carrots: when he does not see it coming. The spoon neared Rudy, who was immersed in another world, opened his mouth and started chewing.

     At the corner of their wooden shed, Ruben suppressed a smile. As a father he believed carrots were good, when you were growing up, but did not necessarily believe the same for adults, adults like him.

     Rudy took another mouthful. Camille shot Ruben a warning look from the corner of her beautiful hazel eyes, suppressing a smile of her own, as if to say, ' You're next.'

     Ruben jerked awake, and was stopped by the aches all over his body. He found himself in a room, the curtains drawn to block out the sunlight.

     'How do you feel?' a voice said.

     Ruben had not noticed the man in the corner. He had white hair, but mostly bald, and wore a long brown robe.

     Ruben startled. 'Where am I?' he asked, surveying the room, and saw his staff by his bedside.

     'This is the Westminster Monastery,' the old priest answered.

     'I need to go.'

     'Lady Frederick and Young Frederick have already been laid to rest, my Magus,' said the old priest.

     'How long have I been out for?'

     'To-day is the third,' the priest said. Then, to someone outside the door, 'Johann, bring food for the Magus.' A shadow flitted across the gap below the door.