Chapter Eight- Marry Me?

He tried CPR again, but this time it worked. I coughed and sputtered.

"Nessie? Neeeeesssssssssie!" he exulted, kissing my forehead.

"Great. The freaking leech didn't die." Dante's dad grumbled.

But Dante was too happy to notice much. He was beaming. I tried to sit, coughing the whole way up. He stood, picked me up, and cradled me in his arms.

"Oh my god! You had me so worried! Don't you ever do that again, silly girl." Dante exulted, smiling through the tears.

"You saved me." I whispered. "If it weren't for you...I wouldn't've been able to hang on. Wouldn't have had reason too" I finished.

He nuzzled me, and poured more blood into my mouth; knowing I still needed it.

"I'm gonna be sick." His dad said.

But he wasn't part of this moment. It was me and Dante. Forever. Everything seemed to glow. I couldn't have possibly been happier. As if sensing that thought, Dante beamed and nuzzled me again.

Eventually, he decided I still need a real doctor. So he ran me toward the hospital. We found the old shack where I had once been held hostage. I cringe into Dante's chest, and he nuzzles me comfortingly. I manage to smile a bit, and we pass the shack without a backward glance.

After about another hour of running, we finally reached the hospital. The same Doctor as before ran out to meet us. We ran strait to her ER room where Dante set me down on the cot. I had a strange sense of Dejavu in this room.

"Quite frankly, I'm surprised she's even alive, judging by the extent of her injuries." Dr. Donavon said, undoing the improvised bandages that Dante had used.

"I haven't seen injuries like this since medical school. Looks like a stake, but only a fanatic would do that. Must've wanted her to suffer."

I winced as the air hit my wounds. I was going to be sore for a while, no doubt. Dante nodded, his eyes never leaving my face for a second.

"She's a tough one, isn't she?" Dante said affectionately.

Dr. Donavon nodded. Dante walked over to my cot and sat on the edge of it, just as my phone rang. Now this was definite Dejavu.

"Hello?"

"Nessie? Oh thank god you're ok."

"You have no idea just how right you are, though I would use the term 'ok' loosely, Bri."

"What happened? Everyone's at your party, but no birthday girl, and no Dj. Where are you and Dante?" Her tone was skeptic, like she really didn't want to know.

"At the hospital."

"Oh my god, whose hurt? We'll be right over!"

"Kay, bye Bri." I hung up and set the phone down.

"Is everything ok?" Dante asked when the doctor quit studding my wounds and left the room.

"Bri got worried when we didn't show at my Birthday party. But I think she thought we were doing something...else. Not at the hospital."

"Interesting. Wonder where she got that idea." He said jokingly, and we grinned at each other.

"Well we are together all the time." I reminded him.

"Yeah, that might be it. " He murmured, playing with a strand of my hair absentmindedly. Did he realize how just the most casual of touches sent jolts of electricity through me?