Chapter 3: Finding a Job

"Sir Do you have any jobs for me today?" Jethro asked a lumberman who was wheeling a cart of wood chippings down the road.

"No, not today, Jethro. I have it all under control, Good day to you." The burly man said as he continued his trek. Jethro looked down.

"Good day." He said defeated, this was his fourth turndown this morning for a job. He decided to go ask the baker.

"Good day baker. I was wondering if you had any jobs I could help you with this fine morning." Jethro asked cheerily.

"Ho ho, my boy, oh do I have a job for you! I need someone to get me ten more sacks of wheat from the farm. I will give you a pound if you can bring me all ten bags within the hour." The baker said joyfully, giving a hearty laugh.

"Oh yes, sir! Thankyou, sir!" Jethro said as he ran out of the bakery and down the dirt path to the farm. Once he arrived, he told the farmer about the 10 bags of wheat. Once receiving the wheat, Jethro tried to carry them back to the bakery. First he tried to carry all ten, but it weighed a lot for each bag was more than 50 pounds, he slung two bags over his back and as quickly as he could, made his way back to the bakery.

"My boy, where are the other eight bags?" The baker said grinning at Jethro.

"Oh sir, they were so heavy and so hard to carry I could only carry two at a time. I will go back for the rest." Jethro said hanging his head in defeat.

"Well you better hurry for you have but half an hour to complete my task or you receive only but a shilling. Ho ho ho." The baker said, giving a laugh. Jethro nodded and ran back out of the bakery, he ran as fast as he could back to the farm, this time trying to pick up four bags of wheat. He got but half a mile before he dropped a bag and it burst spilling wheat all over the dirt road.

"Oh No! Now what am I to do! That pound was to feed my parents and little sister tonight." Jethro said as he tried to scoop back in the wheat. He did not succeed however, and ended up bringing three bags and half a bag of wheat and dirt to the baker. He set down the three full bags and brought the other one to the baker.

"Oh sir, I made a horrible mistake, I tried to carry four bags at once so as to get here faster, but to no avail, one of the bags fell and spilled all over the road, and now you only have five bags here and the most you will get is nine. I have failed you." Jethro said hanging his head in defeat, and waiting for the reprimand from the baker.

"My dear boy, you have not failed me, I was testing you, to see if you were honest. I do not need ten bags of wheat. Each bag weighs 50 pounds; it only takes a cup to make a loaf of bread. You have done well Jethro, here is your pound." The baker said smiling at the boy and handing him a bright golden coin.

"Oh thank you mister, thank you!" Jethro said grinning from ear to ear. "Is there anything else you would like me to do? I will work for free." Jethro said putting his pound in his pocket.

"No I have no other jobs for you to do for free today." The baker said shaking his head. Jethro started to leave. "My boy, I said I have no other jobs for you to do for free today, I did not say I did not have any other jobs. Get back in here sonny. Now if you can do these other jobs I will give you four more pounds at the end of the day. So you may go home and feed your family for the rest of the week. Ho ho ho." The baker said as he put a hand on Jethro's shoulder. He told Jethro how to mix the batter, pour it into the mold, and how to put it in and take it out of the oven. He also washed dishes and swept the floor. This continued until lunchtime, when the baker gave Jethro a thick slice of bread and a piece of cheese to go with it.

Now as Jethro continued his working for the day, back at the farm, a girl was working to get her chores done, so she might get to do a bit of reading with her mama before lunch.