Night Raid

Chapter 2: Night Raid

Night had come but I had not returned to the village. I could not. Nestled in the branches of the tree I had climbed that very morning to admire Calvara's beauty, I was too ashamed to face my family. We hadn't been warned, and even they did not know their daughter was worthless. They had always assumed I had my mother's aptitude for healing, and that it was what I had been given.

Why had I been chosen? The thought kept ringing through my mind, bouncing off the walls of my knowledge. I had been content to live at home, marry, and have children. It was the one way I felt I could contribute to my village, hoping that my babies would be blessed with magic and that the shame would die with me.

And why had Sylar kept his Summoning from me? It pained me to think that perhaps he didn't trust me, even after spending his entire life as my closest friend.

"Tal," speak of the bastard, I mused as I heard his voice from below. Honestly I had expected him to seek me out many hours before. The fact that he hadn't conflicted my emotions. Either he knew me too well, or he hadn't cared enough to find me.

"Go away, Sylar." Looking down through the branches I glared at his handsome face, hurt and confused and unable to handle anything he might have to say.

"Let me explain," he began, but my idignant snort cut him off.

"There's nothing to explain. You were alright with leaving me, without giving me the proper time to say goodbye. Did you think we could say goodbye to sixteen years of friendship in one evening?" I shook my head, my words savouring strongly of bitterness I could not control. "Go away."

It was silent for a moment and I hoped her had gone. Then, I heard the rustle of the trees and saw him beginning to climb up. Scowling, I stood and lifted myself higher, hoping he would take the hint and leave me alone. I looked down to find him frowning at me.

"Okay. Let me appologize then," Now, this sounded more appropriate, and I had to admit I felt I deserved an appology. Perhaps I would forgive him, but not without much begging and suffering on his part.

"I don't want to hear it. Why would you appologize? You obviously didn't trust me, and you obviously don't care about me, or about our friendship." He stopped in his tracks and his eyes became a fierce, stormy gray. The change was so swift and terrifying I felt it take my breath away.

"I don't care? I didn't say anything because I care!" A wind picked up, rattling the tree and I stumbled a bit, my mouth gaping as I felt my balance slip. Arms flailing, I managed to grasp the branch above my head, and regaining myself, I climbed higher.

"That's horse shit," I accused him, taunting this new side of Sylar that was at once thrilling and terrifying. The wind howled, whipping my hair into a frenzy and I felt the tension of a storm brewing in the air. I grasped the thick trunk of the tree for balance as he managed to climb to the height I was at, and now stood on the other side of the tree, level with me. The berth of the oak was the only thing between us.

"You know I don't like it when you cuss," his eyes met mine, pinning me. It was like looking into the center of the storms that sometimes tore the land into ruins. I held still, and slowly, it faded. The wind died, and Sylar's eyes returned to clear blue.

"Did you do that?" I whispered, then cleared my throat sheepishly, trying to sound scathing, at the very least nonchalent. "Just another thing you decided not to tell me about?" I added, more harshly. But after so many years of friendship, I grudgingly decided I'd give him one chance.

"It's complicated," he began, looking troubled. I cut him off, glaring at him.

"You have one chance to get me to forgive you. Choose your words carefully," I advised him, waiting to be impressed.