Chapter Seven: The Confrontation

Instead of resting her to her crib, Hayley decided to sleep with Hope that night. She couldn't handle being away from her for even a second. Not after having to live, to breathe without her for months. Not when, in her mind, there was a fat chance that she would wake up and not find her there. Not yet.

She held her in her arms and smiled as she closed her eyes, hoping for a dreamless sleep. But when had her hopes ever come true?

He was standing in the middle of the woods, tall and dangerous, looking down at her with the most sarcastic and apathetic expression she had ever seen on him. His mouth was moving, but none of the sounds that escaped his red, full lips managed to reach her ears.

Was it because of the wind, loud and powerful, as it was making the tree leaves fall all around him that she lacked the ability to hear?

At that thought, for just a second, she stopped her efforts to understand what it was that his mouth seemed to be spitting out, and focused on the bigger picture instead; the leaves were quite literally surrounding him, with none of them touching his skin. It was as if he was repulsing them in a way.

And Hayley wouldn't have paid much attention to that, if the events that followed suit hadn't happened.

A loud thunder was heard, lightning ripping the dark sky into two; four; ten separate parts. Now she had literally given up on trying to listen to him. But his mouth kept moving anyway, something she found utterly annoying. What the hell was he rambling about?

But it was only after the rain started pouring down at her, wettening everything around her, that her annoyance was replaced by fear; because, just like the leaves, the rain refused to touch him as well. The world was drowning in an ocean of rain and tears, tears she just now discovered that were rolling down her cheeks, and yet Klaus Mikaelson was standing upright, totally unaffected and seemingly amused, completely dry.

At seeing him like this, there was this one word that was touching the edges of her tongue, but her mind didn't process it enough to remember. All she knew what that it suited him perfectly.

And just around the time when she decided that she should give up; the sounds of the rain and thunder were covering everything else now, something unbelievable happened. He spoke again, and now, she could listen to his every word clearly. But the thing is, he didn't even try hard to be heard. He wasn't shouting. He was just speaking, his tone normal, maybe even low. He had managed to be heard above the noises of the nature.

Invincible. That was the word she had been searching for, and her fear widened as she saw that, second by the second, it was coming truer and truer.

But his words were enough to erase her fears, with rage taking its place;

Hope is mine. Hope is mine. Hope is mine. Hope is mine. Hope is mine. Hope is-

Only these three words, repeating themselves over and over again. Hayley wished she hadn't listened, her first instinct being the one of covering her ears. That wouldn't do her any good though, so she started running wild towards him. How dared he call her his? She needed to attack. She needed to take revenge. She needed to do something to rip that scornful, sardonic smile off his lips. But she stopped midway, the sight of Hope suddenly appearing in Klaus's embrace preventing her. He took her.

How had she let this happen again?

"Give me my baby back!" she yelled, but her voice was weak, crumbling due to tears that were about to drop. While Hayley talked, Klaus kept ranting, the same domino of words escaping his lips. Hope is mine.