Five- Vacation Taking An Unexpected Turn

It was near 10 p.m. Reese and I were walking back to our lodge cabin.

I trudged through the thick snow, barely carrying our skis with me.

"You good back there?" Reese asked be as he readjusted his grip on our rented snow tubes.

"Uh-huh." I said as I sniffled.

My winter gear was soaked. And worst of all, snow got under my mittens.

We reached our cabin, putting the ski stuff in a chest in front of the front door.

I exhaled sharply as I straightened my back.

I took off my snow suit and I threw it on a bench next to the chest. Reese did the same.

"Let's go." I said, puffing out a blast of white air out of my mouth.

Reese put the key into the keyhole.

He turned to me, firmly saying:

"Remember about the kitten situation. If anything's wrong with it, we're leaving." He said.

I sighed and I stepped inside as soon as the door opened.

I ran inside, and I bolted up the stairs and to the second landing.

"Ryan!" I cried.

I cut through rows of boxes, and I reached the attic door.

I knocked on it three times, just as I did the last time, and Ryan swung open the door.

"Hi Ryan." I said in between breaths.

Ryan smiled and he suddenly looked worried. He put a cold arm on my back and he let me inside the attic. He shut the door behind him.

"Sit, please." He said as he sat down in his usual seat. I nodded and I coughed and sat down.

"Good now?" He asked me. I nodded and I looked around.

"Do you have my kitten?" I asked, worrying when I didn't see her.

Ryan nodded and he walked over to the other side of the room by the window. He picked up the kitten from the windowsill and he walked back to me.

I sighed, relieved. Ryan handed me my kitten, and I automatically saw her big neon green eyes open as she nuzzled closer into my striped shirt.

"Thanks." I said as I looked up at Ryan's green eyes.

He smiled.

"I need to get going, back to Reese. Thank you so much for watching her." I said to him. He nodded and let me out of the attic.

"G'night." Ryan said as he shut the door.

I smiled and I safely walked through the row of boxes and back downstairs.

Reese spun around as I walked over to him with the kitten in my arms.

"She's okay?" He asked.

I nodded matter-of-factly.

Reese sighed.

Then he walked into our bedroom, slamming the door behind him.
***
Day two of lodge skiing vacation.

Reese didn't let me into the bedroom. So I had to sleep on the couch. My patience was running low with Reese.

He was acting very rude and I was really upset about this. We were supposed to be having fun around the holidays.

As I walked over to the couch, I was startled to feel a cold whoosh of air.

I spun around and saw Ryan standing there. I smiled, relieved it was only him.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I whispered to him as I put the kitten on the couch.

Ryan frowned and he hugged me.

"Your mate is being a little rude for a boyfriend, don't you think?" He said as he pulled away from me.

I nodded and I rubbed my forearm.

"Why is he so sensitive?" I asked, clearly not expecting a response.

Ryan shook his head.

"I dunno." He said as he suddenly perked up.

"Follow me. I want to show you something." He said as he lead me upstairs all the way to his attic.

He pushed open the door and he let us both in.

"I found this under the bubble wrapped couch." Ryan said as he picked up an old book from a shelf he must have put it on.

I looked at it as he turned it my way.

He blew off some dust from the cover, and I examined it.

The title was Savior Sorrow and the author was unknown.

"What the heck? No author?" I asked.

Ryan looked at me and then he opened the book. The page he flipped to had a picture of a beheaded girl.

I cringed and stepped away from him. He flipped through a series of murder pictures and then he shut the book.

"What the hell was that!?" I shrieked.

"It scarred me as well." Ryan said. "Because my body is shown in this book."

My jaw dropped.

"Look." Ryan said as he turned to the last page.

A body of a stabbed and beaten boy was on that page.

I gasped and covered my mouth.

"Who would do this!?" I asked.

Ryan shrugged and put the book back on the shelf.

"I wanted to show you so that you were aware of some evil spirit I'm sensing that's apparently haunting me. I'm scared he'll be onto you." Ryan said.

"Oh my God." I said as I stepped away from Ryan.

He looked at me and turned his head around to see what I was seeing.

There was blood pouring from the book.

Ryan jerked back and he jumped to my side as we watched in horror.

The fucking book was bleeding.

Suddenly the attic door flung open. It started both me and Ryan.

Reese was standing in the doorway.

He was holding a remote.

"I hope my prank scared you both." He said as he pressed a button on the remote that made the book stop bleeding.

I gasped.

"You're horrible! How and why could you do something like that!?" I screamed.

Reese chuckled.

"To teach you both a lesson. STAY AWAY FEOM EACH OTHER OR ELSE I'M LEAVING YOU FERN." Reese screamed as he left the room.

I sighed and I looked at Ryan. He smiled and he wrapped an arm around me.

"The book was a fucking prank." He laughed.

"Yeah, but how the hell did he even do that!? And when?" I asked.

Ryan shrugged.

As his arm was on me, I suddenly felt tingles running through my body.

Feelings...these odd feelings.
Feelings, that I wasn't really supposed to feel while I'm dating someone else.

I didn't feel that electricity between Reese and me anymore.

But I had a feeling that I was falling for Ryan.