My Friend Anna

"Ella, no, please," I whimpered as I held her tiny body in my hands. They almost seemed to engulf her as I hugged her figure in my long arms. I don't know exactly what I was pleading her for; so that she wouldn't give up, a chance for me to show her that love doesn't have to hurt and that it comes without promises and restrictions, a chance to show her love is real; love is very real.

Her golden blonde hair shimmied around her round face as I said this and she whimpered. "No," she choked out a sob. "No, I can't, I can't anymore." In the dark woods thunder tolled and the slight drizzling of rain became heavy drops of dense water.  

 "Don't you say that" -- I grasped her pointy chin in my hands and pulled her sunken face to look up at me. "Don't you dare say that."

She gasped once closing her eyes before they fluttered open again. Bright emerald green meeting light aqua blue. When she didn't respond I clutched her slim hand in mine. She gently turned her face away from me and to the mist that was quickly catching up with us. "It's coming." She said weakly. "Too late."

Then, I could make out what appeared to be the dark robe of Anna, as it billowed slightly with the movement. A dark curtain of silk black texture was pulled over her head, masking her face. But I could tell she was smiling wickedly.  Anna was hidden beneath long dark fabric to disguise a tall, bony figure. She was wasting away, barely nothing. She tilted her head to the side.

I hugged Ella tighter to my chest. "No!" I screamed. "You can't take her!"

She seemed to repeat what Ella had said before. "It's too late," her voice was gravely and hoarse. But I could hear the pain behind the mean exterior.

Shakily I stood up from where I held Ella and walked slowly but surely to be exactly two feet and a half away form Anna. Silently, without saying anything, I grabbed her hand in mine. It was smooth against my fingertips and paper thin. She hissed, trying to pull away but I wouldn't let her. "Anna," I said lovingly. "I love you. And you don't have to be this way. Please, don't be this way."

She growled, thin blue lips pulling over her teeth. "Shut up!"

I gestured to Ella's limp body lying on the ground motionless. "Look at what you are doing!" I shouted, tears streaming down my face. "Look at her!"

Suddenly her knees went weak and she collapsed on the floor. "Shut up, shut up, shut up!" She repeated as if it was some sort of mantra.

"Isn't that all you wanted was to be loved and accepted? Well, you have that. You have that in me." I told her desperately.

She tugged on her hand but I had it in an iron grip. " I want to be perfect!" She said sounding hungry. As if nothing in the world would quench her sudden thirst.

"You are perfect," I then said softly. "You are perfect to me. And that's all that matters, right?" She started trembling, yelling, cursing, screaming in absolute agony. But I kept on going.

"I love you, I love you, I love you. You are perfect the way you are and I love you this way. Because you know why? Because you are mine. Because I love the way your eyes crinkle when you laugh. Your real, genuine laugh. And its beautiful but I haven't heard it in a while. I love your green eyes, they always used to sparkle with life. I love your golden hair that tumbled down your back in perfect waves. I love the freckles on your cheeks" -- As I was saying all of this the pouring rain had stopped and the clouds were clearing up to a beautiful blue sky. The sun broke out from beneath the dark clouds seeming to smile down upon us.

Her black dress and veil started to change form and soon all that was laying in my arms was a beautiful girl in a dark blue sundress, green eyes twinkling, blonde hair flowing down her back. I sobbed but this time in happiness as I brought her forehead up to my mouth and kissed the smooth skin. "I love you without limits. I love you round and full. I love you blonde and eyes green. I love you with freckles. I love you when you are eating and when you are not; 90 pounds or 300."

The girl laying in my eyes smiled and this time her eyes crinkled. She looked at me happily. "I love you too, always."

***

Ella smiled, wiping the tears from her green eyes. She softly squeezed my hand and took a spoon full of oat meal and began eating . . .