Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I don't own Fairy Tail!

I'll be honest. I shouldn't be starting another story if I can't even update my others. Yeah, I know it's bad, but I wanted to post this so bad! Anyway, when I first started writing this it was gonna be a oneshot. I shows it to my friend halfway through and she told me I should make a short story out of it, and I decided to. So, here's chapter one!

Oh, and I had no real summary so I pulled a teaser from the story.

Enjoy!

Lucy's world has stopped. She was in horror at the sight before her. She saw every drop of the blood fall in slow motion, her body shaking but mind not registering what had happened. She could smell the gory liquid that dripped out of his body where she was. She could taste the blood in the air, the metallic, sharp taste. Her body seemed far away, out of her control. Why did it have to be him? Why couldn't it have been me? She thought, not taking her eyes off of the scene.

Of course, it just had to be on the one job he allowed her to choose. He hadn't run in front of her like so many other times. Instead, he waited patiently for her to come back with the request in hand. He seemed, kind of different. Off. The job wasn't hard at all, either. They just had to retrieve a plant from the forest. How was the client, or anyone else for that matter, going to predict this? This... this... terribly horrible accident. What was the accident?

They had run into a monster that even Erza would have had a bit of trouble defeating. The monster had came out of nowhere, not making a sound as it walked. It was about three times her size and its color was a dark gray, almost black. It had a horn sticking out on his head and horns covering his tail.

"Don't worry Luce, I got this!" He shouted, cockily running to stand in front of the monster, looking at the blonde Mage instead of his opponent. Lucy gulped as the scene replayed in her mind. Just a quick swing of its tail and he had dropped. One of the spikes on it impaled him through the stomach. He hadn't gotten to even try to land one hit.

Lucy dropped to her knees, hands covering her mouth. She forgot all about the huge thing that had caused all this. As the monster loomed over her, she just continued to shake and stare at the scene. Then he shouted at her. Got her moving.

"L-Lucy! MOVE!" He shouted using up a lot of the energy he had left. Blood trickled from the corner of his mouth as he watched in terror. Fear formed in the back of his mind at the thought of her getting hurt by the thing he couldn't defeat.

At his shout, Lucy looked behind her to see the monster take a threatening step toward her. This brought her back into the world. She rolled out of the way as the monster brought its fist down, shaking the ground when it collided with the hard earth. Lucy quickly jumped to her feet and got into a ready stance before the creature had another chance to attack. She had to defeat this thing first, then get to him. Help him.

Lucy grabbed her whip that was resting on her hip and a key from her collection. The key shined as the light hit it. "Lucy. Run. Get away." He called to her, desperately reaching out to her. She grasped the key with her fist, anger swirling inside her when he said this.

"I can't! I'm not leaving you!" Lucy shouted, staring at the ground. She would not leave him alone. His father left him. His best friend left him, but came back. She was the one who would stay with him forever.

Lucy ran toward the creature, hand swinging the key forward as she called "Open! Gate of the Lion! Leo!" A bright light shone as the spirit materialized in front of her with a smirk. "What can I do for you, love?" The flirt asked. His tone and mood changed as he took in the situation. He saw his master, no, friend, with tears running down her face. She looked at him desperately searching for help, but with a determined look in her eyes.