Resuscitation, Part 3: Clear!

Once more, our patient's heart has stopped. Someone grabs a defibrillator. They shout "Clear!". The patient's body jerks off the table, and then he gasps as he is shocked back to life.

We've dealt with the senselessness of shocking a flatline, and with the ridiculousness of that flopping body, so what's left for us to deal with?

Part 3: Clear!

The heroic doctor shouts "Clear!" before shocking the patient.

That's good. Really, it is. The thing is, in most TV series, you'll usually still spot someone who's touching the patient. A good thing to do before shocking, is waving your arms over the patient in a wide gesture, pushing everyone away who might be touching them. It's also a lot clearer to make a gesture like that, than to shout in a room full of noises and chaos. Most trained professionals do it, especially if surrounded by untrained bystanders.

And do really check all around if no one is touching the patient while shocking (including yourself!). Often you'll hear them shout "Clear!" and shock half a second later. If there was someone touching the patient, they couldn't have gotten away in that time. Warn in advance, saying you're going to shock. Then shout "Clear!". Repeat the shout a few times if you must. Keep your eyes on the patient while shocking, or pushing the AED button. Don't look at the button. Look at the patient.

The other thing that's often forgotten, is that you best don't touch the patient either when you're analysing their heart rhythm. This is especially important for an AED, an automatic external defibrillator. Here, the machine itself analyses the heart rhythm, instead of the doctor, and determines if a shock is needed. If you happen to be touching your patient, the machine might detect your own pulse and might make a wrong assessment.

Some Other Misconceptions

The patient gasps and is shocked back to life... We'll deal with that one next chapter, I promise. Miraculous revivals, always a favourite in storytelling. It deserves it's own chapter.

AEDs, automatic external defibrillators: They're not dangerous. They will not shock anyone by accident, or shock anyone they're not supposed to. They will tell you exactly what to do, so you can follow their instructions easily. They will warn you well in advance of shocking. They're designed to be used by everyone, even those with no training at all.

Most of all, they're the best way to save people. Chest compressions don't save people. They only buy time until help arrives. A shock, when indicated (see the previous chapter), that saves lives.

Enjoy your weekend, everyone, and feel free to leave some comments. I like reading what you think.