Chapter One: Flashback

Peyton's POV

"Peyton! Peyton!" I turn around to see my best friend Kayla running towards me, a big grin on her face.

"Oh, hi Kayla." I greet her.

"Guess what! Guess what!" She exclaims. Without even waiting for me to answer, she says, "I'm going to be in the play too!" She starts dancing around as I realize what she is talking about. Our school is putting on a performance of Alice in Wonderland, and we are going to perform it for our parents on the last day of school before winter break. Tomorrow is audition day, and up until this point, Kayla didn't want to be in the play, she said it 'wasn't right for her'. That is why I am surprised to hear that she is actually going for a role.

"Well that's nice." I tell her. "What role are you going for?" I ask. She stops dancing for a minute to think.

"Actually, I'm not sure yet." She says. "Perhaps Alice. I think that would be fun."

"Oh." I say. "Well...ok." She smiles and starts walking away. "But...I was going to play Alice." I mutter to myself.

"Hey don't worry." A voice behind me says. I turn around and see my other best friend, Chloe, walking towards me. She smiles and says, "You have been acting since you were born. I know you will get the part of Alice, even if Kayla auditions for it." I smile at her, grateful for her confidence in me. "Wanna get an ice cream?" She asks. I nod.

"Course I do." We link arms and walk off to the ice cream shop.

One week later...

Kayla's POV

"YES!!! I got the part!!!" I burst out of the auditorium with a huge grin on my face. I start dancing around, but stop when I see Peyton and Chloe walking out. Peyton is looking at the ground, and Chloe is whispering in her ear. They pass me, and Peyton doesn't look up. However, Chloe does, and she glares at me, then turns back to Peyton. I watch them walk into the distance, a mixture of happiness and sadness chaotically tangling around within me.

"Kayla!" I hear someone yell. I turn around and see Jessica, my twin sister, running towards me. "You got it! You got it!" She yells. I can't help but smile as she runs up to me and hugs me. "Congratulations!" She says with a big smile on her face.

"Thanks, Jess." I tell her.

"Everyone's waiting for us, I haven't told them the good news yet, I wanted you to tell them." She informs me.

"Ok, thanks again Jess." She smiles.

"No problem Kayla." We turn and start walking home together.

I can't wait to tell the rest of my family that I got the part of Alice in the play. I am so excited!

My family consists of my mother, a fashion designer, my older sister Olivia, whom we all call Livi, my older brother Noah, and Jess and me. My father used to be a pilot, but one night he was flying in a storm, and the plane crashed, so he died. I miss him a lot. But I know that Mom, Livi, and Noah will be just as excited as I am!

But my heart starts aching when I think of Peyton and the sadness on her face. I sigh to myself as Jessica and I walk home.