The Last Mage.

~in the end, there was no light, no safety, no survival.~

This time, there was no going back. it was now or never. If anything was to happen, if she wanted anything to change - she would have to do it now. The woods got thicker as she hurdled through the trees and over sticks. trying to get this child to safety. it was a long time before she caught a glimpse of the black cloak waiting for her on the edge of this world and the entranceway to the next. The last portal, the one she would die closing for the last time. She was the only one with enough mage power still inside her to open the portals, or close them. giving her the most powerful weapon against anyone, and making her the most powerful person in this world. Now there are two of us, and as soon as they step through the portal, only one. I gave the newest born royal child the rest of my powers, other than the power I need to close the last portal to reach this world.

Upon reaching the cloaked figure, I pushed my fingers to my lips then onto the baby's forehead. chanting a mantra, then fastening a necklace onto the baby's soft skin. I handed her over to the cloaked figure, and watched them leave, ducking behind trees and more trees. When they walked through the portal, and I waited two minutes, the normal transfer time, and used the last of the energy I had to close that portal. They will be safe, no matter what. I promise.