Chapter Eighteen

"I know I said today but can we wait until tomorrow?" Allie asked as she and Jack walked up onto Hawke and Lily's porch the next day.

"Having second thoughts, doll?" Jack asked with a grin. Allie shook her head and he ran a gentle knuckle over her cheek.

"I wanna have time to figure out what I'm gonna wear and then I'll need some flowers and there are a couple people I'd like to have here and…." Jack pressed his lips to hers, cutting off her rambling.

"I've been waiting this long." he said as he pulled away. "I guess one more day won't kill me." Hawke walked out the cabin door then and the two of them jumped apart as if they were young kids again caught doing something naughty.

A smile tugged at Hawke's mouth and he raised one sculpted brow as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Since there isn't going to be a wedding let's get out and fix some traps." he said and then he walked off the porch and whistled for Wolf who followed after him to the barn.

"I guess that means I'll see ya this afternoon." Jack said.

"Am I staying at your cabin again tonight?" Allie asked as a blush colored her cheek and she bit her lip. Jack smiled at her sudden shyness and nodded.

"If ya think I'm letting you stay anywhere else you've lost your mind." he replied. Allie tilted her head.

"Do you think you can tell me what I have to do now?" she demanded teasingly. Jack puffed out his chest and nodded.

"Yep." Before Allie could reply Hawke came out of the barn with Trigger.

"I gotta go, doll." Jack kissed her cheek gently and his warm breath caressed her skin causing her knees to feel weak. She watched him jump back on his horse and ride off into the woods with Hawke and Wolf and then she turned to go inside.

888

"You look beautiful." Lily said as Allie stared at herself in Lily's full length bedroom mirror.

"Are you sure Hawke won't mind if I wear this?" she asked as she ran a finger over the buttery soft doeskin dress and marveled at the way it hugged her body.

"I'm sure. Hawke might seem like a hard man but deep down inside he's nothing but a big softie." Lily replied with a wink. Allie laughed lightly.

"I don't know about that but what I do know is that this dress is beautiful."

"Jack won't be able to take his eyes off of you." Allie felt butterflies swarm in her stomach. "We better get you back out of this dress and you can go out to my flower garden and figure out which ones you want to wear in your hair and carry in your hands tomorrow."

Allie nodded and was about to pull the dress off when a knock sounded on the cabin door.

"Sarah, stay in here with aunt Allie." Lily said sternly and she walked out of the bedroom. Allie waited in the bedroom door and watched Lily open the cabin door.

"What in the world are you doing here?" Lily demanded when it was Gavin standing on the porch with his gray bowler hat in his hands and a nervous smile on his face.

"I was hoping to talk to Allie… Um.. Jack isn't here is he?" Lily shook her head.

"No he's not." she said. "Come in." she added stepping aside and letting Gavin enter the cabin. Allie walked out of the bedroom and glared at him with her hands on her hips. His eyes widened and his jaw dropped at the sight of her in the curve hugging doeskin dress that showed off much of the soft skin on her chest and all her long dark wavy hair hanging down her back and over her shoulders.