lost dreams

Just one night,
That's all it took
For me to have fallen into this unwritten book
It's a bit dark, a bit scary,
Though I'm not one to dream of magic and faeries
I've felt a whisper of this feeling before
But this whole time, I believed it to only be folklore
Now that I've been drawn into this delicate work of art
I pray that in the end, you don't shatter this weak heart

****Gahd I really suck at poetry
Hey, I tried
OK, back to the story*****

"Do you remember me?"
A strange girl I had never seen before, was now just inches away from my face. Her breaths were steady, unlike mine, and her eyes full of curiosity.
I thought back to this city.
I finally returned, after 10 years. Did I know her as a child? All of a sudden, it felt like a million needles were puncturing my brain, and I fell to the ground.
I couldn't see anything, other than the millions of trees surrounding us. A younger version of the girl from before took my hand, and we ran. The smile on her face was enough to make me smile, I remembered that. We came to a clearing, where in the center, stood a giant tree, unlike the others.
It was like looking up at a skyscraper, trying to find the top of that tree.
'This is the tree of dreams. It's said that, every leaf holds a dream of yours. If you saw a bad dream, and you want to get rid of it...just find the leaf that holds that dream, and tear it off.'
At that, I desperately climbed the tree. I remember not knowing what I was doing, or what I was searching for. I just had to keep climbing.
How many days did it take? Hours, minutes, seconds? I think time wasn't told the same way here. When I reached the top, I sat and stared at the vast forest before me.
'Did you find it?' Her lips were at my ear. I finally asked,
'How do I find the dream I want to erase?'
She smiled to herself, and held out a small withering leaf, bright red, though this tree only held greens and yellows.
'I think this is what you were looking for.' She placed it into my hand, and when I looked up she had vanished.
I closed my fist, closed my eyes, and saw the dream I wished to unsee.
She was all I could see, all I could hear, all I could feel, all I could ever want, and all I could ever need.
Every second I spent alive, it was beside her.
She was always alone, but no matter how lonely she got, she was always standing.
I wanted to stand with her.
I remember
I wanted to stand with her, but she finally fell.
She fell, and I didn't know what I stood on anymore.
So I tore up that dream and forgot the person that had been my world.

She was still here, and I could see her face clearly. I remembered her, and my heart that had been cold for so long, warmed a bit.
She took my hand and she asked again, tears in her eyes,
"Do you remember me?"
I stood, knowing what I had to do,
"I don't quite remember you, I'm sorry."
In order to protect her from myself