Chapter One: Sad News

My mother always told me that someone who died always left something behind, whether it was a memory or a legacy something would always be there. My father wasn't someone I pictured burying at a young age, especially since he left me at a young age. I didn't even know him. at all. There was emotion with the fact that he was blood relative rather than just a random person but after not knowing him all my life, there wasn't that much connection between us both. 

My mother told me that my father was a really great man and that he couldn't cope with being a father so he left, he was successful and he did send my tuition and money for me every month and it had been going into a bank account that I can only recently been able to use. 

It wasn't the typical rainy day with dark gloomy clouds in the sky, it was a sunny day and everyone around the small white church was wearing black. They all seemed to know him, everyone did except me. I heard my mother gasp behind me as her eyes came in contact with a teenage guy around the age of nineteen. "Mom what's wrong?" I asked her as she bit her lip. I did the exact same when I was nervous.

I was just like my mother in many different ways, we both had dark brown hair which was down our backs, we were both quite short although she was slightly taller than me. I had her ears and her cheekbones, I had her weight proportions. 

Although many things with my mom were the same. I had my fathers green eyes and his nose. I had his smile, I had drive for my aspirations just like he did. Although I didn't really meet my father, being here today with people around a church crying for him, because he touched so many people really brought emotion to me. Who were half these people, and who was the guy who was walking towards Me, My mom and my step dad?

"Amelia go inside" My mother told me as she pushed me. "Jack take her inside" 

My stepfather took me inside and we walked over the coffin. There he was laying all peaceful and quiet with nothing other than a suit and a smile. I couldn't stay there long as I started to cry. my father, my only real true father wasn't able to watch me graduate school, see my first day in college, see my last day in college. He wasn't able to see me get married, have children. to grow up. He wasn't there to see my first steps or to see me in first grade or middle school, he wasn't there to see my first word or see my first tooth, he wasn't my Santa Claus on Christmas day when I was growing up and he wasn't the tooth fairy that put money under my pillow. He didn't teach me to swim, or to teach me to ride a bike, he didn't help me with my math homework. He just wasn't there. But seeing him laying there in a dark wood coffin made me feel sick, made tears fall from my eyes. I was broken.

I walked away as tears streamed from my eyes, I sat down in the church and watched as others said their goodbye's. I couldn't interrupt those, My mom walked in with the teenage guy next to her, she looked like she had found her child after years. That couldn't be true though. I was her only child.

*****

The ceremony started a while ago and we had got to the speeches now, it seemed to start with the teenage guy that was with my mom at the start of the ceremony. "I would like to start the speeches off with a child or David Barnes" Child?

The teenage guy walked up onto the platform and cleared his throat. "I would like to start this speech off with thanks to everyone who has turned up today, my dad would have loved every minute of this. I would like to thank my mother who has turned up today with my sister" Who is this guy? "I want to thank you all for the support that I've had since his death and I want to tell you all that I am okay and I am doing fine with this all" I took a deep breath as my throat went dry. This guy looked me in the eye through his whole speech. He told exiting stories about how his dad played catch with him in the front yard and how he took his to his first ever baseball game, to his first ever soccer game, he took him to watch football and that he helped him with him math homework. This guy, was my fathers child, which made him my family member, my...half brother. whoever and wherever his mother was, she had lost out on half of his life and I felt the pain that he may have shared. He met her today and his sister which was great for him but for me, I had lost a father and gained a half brother, but it wasn't right. I didn't know what to think. What do I think?