Chapter 11 ~ Andy

This wasn't happening. It couldn't have been. I have been holding everything inside of me for a long time and finally, it all came out. I broke down into tears right in front of this girl that is supposedly the mother to my child.

  Ever since the band broke up I haven't been the same. I lost all happiness, all joy. It felt like everyday another piece of my old life gets ripped away from me. Everyday the memories fade a little bit more. The screaming fans, the rush I got when I ran out on stage, the happiness that filled me when I got to meet the fans, everyday it felt like it faded a little bit more.

  I used to smile. I don't know how long it had been since I genuinely smiled, but it's been a while. I didn't have much money and I was living on the streets for about the first year after the band broke up. That's when my life changed yet again. A man came up to me and noticed who I was. He was an old man, who later I found out his name was Del, with wrinkles all over his face and nice warm eyes that let me know I could trust him. He told me his granddaughter used to listen to my music and that, through my music, I saved her life. So, he felt it was only right to return the favor, by saving my life. He told me he was dying and he needed someone to take over his business when he was gone. He trained me on the basics of running a business. Be strong and assertive and don't take shit from nobody. He used to tell me that everyday before he went home.

  One night, I got a call telling me that Del died in his sleep. I was devastated. He was the only person that gave me hope, he was the only person who made me feel happy again. Now he was gone. He left the business to me and I ran it just as he taught me.

  It's been a year since Del passed and I still feel that sorrow weighing on my conscience. I just wish I got to tell him 'thank you' at least once, though he deserved more than one thank you for all he did for me.

  I never cried. He was like a father to me and I never let myself cry about his passing. I never let myself cry about anything. I guess that's why it all came out today. When I found out I had a daughter it was just the icing on the cake for me. I cried and cried until I felt like I couldn't cry anymore. After a while I looked up and met the girl's gaze. She had a look of concern and pity in her eyes. I couldn't blame her, I would look concerned if I saw me break down, too.

  "Are you okay?" She asked in a small voice.

  "No." I answered simply. If you really think about, are we ever really fine?

  I picked up the picture off of my desk and looked it over with blurry eyes. Now that I really look I can see the resemblance between her and I. We had the same eyes, but she had her mother's smile.

  I couldn't help but let out a small giggle when I looked at her. This really was my daughter.

  Then a sudden burst of rage came over me, "Why did you keep this from me?"

  "I wanted to tell you, but I didn't know how to find you, a-and..." She stopped in the middle of her sentence.

  "And what?"

  "And I didn't think you would want a daughter and I thought you would leave me and not help me take care of her, so I just kept her to myself."

  I stared at her in awe. She was right, I didn't want a daughter. I understood why she didn't tell me, I just wish she did.

  "Does she know anything about me?" I asked hopefully.

  "No. She never asked about her father so I never told her anything."

  Something inside me wanted to be apart of my daughter's life and something wanted me to stay the hell out of it. I was so conflicted, what should I do?

  "Andy?" She asked in that small voice again.

  "Hm?" I answered simply, not knowing how long she was trying to get me out of my daze.

  "Please tell me what you're thinking. I can't read your mind."

  Then I said something that surprised both her and myself.

  "When do I get to meet my daughter?"