Prelogue

I always dreamed of being a princess. One with wavy, long blonde hair. But I knew that my dull, brunette hair would never change. Nor would my stature, I would always stay too tall for the boys my age to like, to skinny to have anything fit properly on me. My social ranking wouldn't either.I wouldn't say that I'm a loser, or popular. I'm kind of in the middle. Sometimes being in the middle, unknown, was better than being in the direct spotlight.

The world used to be peaceful, in my opinion. I was a happy-go-lucky kid. Never was I in the wrong crowd, or really any crowd, for that matter. I was ignored socially, but praised mentally. I had no friends, but an A average. Below a 94% was quite a bad grade for me. I never really invested myself in the way I looked. I wore sweatpants and sweatshirts, jeans, glasses and braces for the longest time, until my family could no longer afford the braces. I was thrown some crappy, plastic retainers and told to wear them for half the day, everyday, or else the teeth would move back to normal, and then I'd be stuck with the same ugly teeth I had in grammar school. My siblings were always the priorities over me, anyway. Especially Ashlee. Ashlee, my eldest sister, was my dad's favorite daughter. He would praise her, treat her as a Puikus.

There are castes in our society, they decided this ten years ago. You are graded on your physical features. Men are judged on their masculinity, like their muscles, facial feature, broadness and how well they can create children. The woman are graded on their facial feature, hair and eye color, height and weight, and the ability to bare children. The Puikus' are at the top of the caste. They are perfect, graded 98-100. They are segregated to an area where everything is provided for them, and the government keeps everything out of that area. The caste below the perfects are the almost perfects, they have only one or two minor flaws. They are called the Meglakin's. Normally the flaws are that the person is too bland, or the eyes are too far apart. Their grading scale is a 86-98. Below the Meglakin's, there are the normal's. They are called Orelites. This is where my family falls into place. They are a 65-85, the biggest category. Poor Ashlee was graded an 85, my father an 83, my mother an 84 and my brother, Dustin, an 81. Below the Meglakin, the untouchable class is called the Mantrium's. This is where I fall into place. I was graded a 13. 13/100. An F. I disgrace my family, and this is what sucks the most. I am pushed down to the curb. Below a 60 is considered mentally retarded, which is not what I am. My family hides me away, they don't have me as a daughter according to all of their friends. Especially when its regrading time.

Regrading is a time when the community comes together, usually. Everyone is de-ranked (minus the Puikus) and for a week everyone is equal. There are community meetings, potlucks, and the town momentarily forgets about the poverty and sickness that is slowly spreading, creeping into more populated towns. The castes were trying to ignore the deaths, the sickness, and the downfall of the countries neighboring ours. Oceans aren't far enough to stop plagues, but the government decides that walls can. They boxed us in, praying that the sickness would stop, it would halt. It didn't. We are now in-boxed in the continent. The only way out is to be a Puikus, or a Lobis.

A Lobis is one step above the caste, they are the immortals, the deities, the human gods. They are physically perfect, and their life is broadcasted for the one week of the regrading. The government is run by the Lobis, they revolve around the Lobis, and the Lobis are the most powerful and influential people in the world. They are also usually hated by some, and loved by most. Ashlee's goal is to become a Lobis, and she really thinks that it is logical. So does dad. He dotes on her, gives her whatever she wants, and makes she is well provided for. Mother does whatever father says, she's always liked Dustin the best anyway. I don't belong in my family, and I am determined to find my place in this dying world.

---------------------------------

Hey guys! This is my first story that I'm posting, and I'm really hoping that I get some feedback from it. I am a freshman at an agricultural school in the USA and I'm really into writing.

If any of you have any questions or concerns, just leave a comment and I'll get back to you asap!

I love you guys!

-Brooke