Chapter 2

The school bell rang as the rain pooled into the ground. The droplets pelted off of my hood. I was running as fast I could, my hand grasping my hood tightly. I had to hurry, the students were coming home at an alarming rate.
If anyone were to see me...
I couldn't think of the consequences. My family would be embarrassed, their grading would drop and their jobs would be in jeopardy.

I left the classroom later than I should. Regular school is getting out now, and if I were to make it home on time I would have to run my ass off. I started bolting as fast as I could, faster and faster until my legs were on the verge of buckling out beneath me.

I passed the Gregenson's house, which meant I had 2 blocks left. I glanced behind me to see how many kids were coming out of the school, and they were right behind me. Crap crap crap! I ran as fast as my legs would let me, tripping a couple times, but I kept running. I passed the mayor's house, meaning there was 1 block left. The sheer adrenaline made me push myself harder than I ever had before.

There was the little white house in the middle of two brick houses, with a fence that was once painted a dull blue, and a roof which once has a mass of shingles properly installed. I flew, jumped the gate and ran onto my porch. I reached in my pocket, grabbing for my keys, and-

My keys weren't there. My keys were not in my pocket, where I had put them. My keys were in the street somewhere, they had fallen out of my holy jeans, and children were running into their houses with huge grins plastered across their face.

I had to wait for my father to come home and yell at me, even more than usual. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs, but I knew that then I'd be seen. I threw my bag on the porch in an act of defiance, fell down and looked up into the rain. My clothes and the new money I had just received were soaked through, I was praying that the money would be fine.

Suddenly, someone jumped on my fence. Or should I say over my fence, right over me. As much as I tried to hold my voice inside, I screeched. The assailant turned around to face me, and I immediately realized the face.

I never went to school, I wasn't allowed. And for the longest time I never understood why. I would be in my bedroom, on the top floor of my house, sheltered in darkness when the school bell would ring. The school was only 2 or 3 blocks from my house, or at least that was what my sister would tell me. The house to the left of us had three children that went to school, two boys and a girl. From what I could tell they were triplets, they always dressed alike and looked alike. Same height, same face. Their mother would wait on her porch every day for them to come home. But one day, the little girl didn't come home anymore, and the mother wouldn't wait for the children, she would walk them home. I never found out what happened to the little girl, but I watched the two twins grow up. I figured they were about a year older than me, with about half a foot difference in height from me. One day, their mother did not walk them home. The boys practically ran over the fence to get inside, and from that day on, I never saw her again.

One day I snuck out. I took my bedsheets and made a ladder down my steep roof, trying not to kick off any shingles. I ran on the edge of my yard, and waited for the two twins to come home. Like I suspected, they came running, and were astonished when they saw me.

I shrunk myself in a virtual ball, hoping my hoodie blended me into the dark corner of the yard. The assailant kept leaping over fences, and before I knew it, he was gone. The cost was clear. I took a deep breath in, before I knew it someone was on the fence, shining a light into my dim yard. The sun had started to set while I was having my temper tantrum on my porch. I glanced up at the light, and was shocked to see an officer of the Law between two fence pickets.

If he saw me, I would be pulled into questioning for my non-enrollment of school, among other questions. I just prayed that the light did not shine upon my face, or my backpack or my locked door. All doors were to remain unlocked due to a brief of privacy by the government. I held my tongue, half of me wanted to yell out "I'm here! Come save me!" where the other half wanted to curl in a ball and never come out.

"Ember?" A voice came from behind me. "Is that you?"

I looked up, staring directly into the light. A familiar face that I just could not place glared at me. He was as old as my father, with more of a kind face. He reminded me of a skinnier, younger Santa Claus, the old legend who Mrs. Port taught me about last week. It was an "American" holiday, supposedly. Whatever that means.

"Ember? Ember Javenson? We thought that you were dead.." He looked at me and grabbed me by my arm, leaning over the fence. "I need to take you to the station right away. Do you remember me? At all?" His eyes became empathetic, his face full of wrinkles that decorated it in such a way to make him seem like the kindest man in the world.

"But, sir, you have something wrong.." My voice quaked as I spoke. "My name's Amber. Amber Javen."

---

A/N

Hi guys! Sorry it took so long for me to write this, it was just a filler chapter that had to string along a lot of events.

Who do you think the stranger is that is taking Amber? Why is he calling her Ember? Who are the triplets, and who is the kid who jumped the fence?

Thank you guys for the 5 votes, keep commenting, voting and sharing please!

The next chapter will be full of surprises! Just for you guys!

Write to you soon:)

-Brooke