Annabelle's Story

I was lying there, in the corner of my blackened room. My misty eyes gazed into the bitter darkness helplessly. Every bit of guilt and regret I ever felt crawled into my mind and took over me as poisoned ivy does. My body leaned against the cold wall. I blinked. A single tear rolled down my cheek and sunk to the floor.

What good am I? I thought to myself. All I am capable of doing is letting people I care about down. I am a failure. Nothing more than a pathetic, useless mess.

I always dreamed to inspire people, yet lately it seemed as though I've been cutting people down as they all once did to me. Would I consider this revenge? No. Just life making me miserable. My pain and stress caused another flood of tears to pour out. I was purposeless and lost in a world meant for everyone else but me.

My thoughts sunk deeper into the depths of the terrifyingly tragic layers of depression. Just as the world was closing in for the final time, a beam of light slipped into my dark room. I stared at it blankly, then felt something warm take hold of my hand. I looked to my side. Sky smiled kindly at me. With his other hand, he brushed my unkempt hair from my wet face.

"I thought you could use a friend," he said warmly. I stared up at him silently as I drew another shaky breath. He squeezed my hand tightly. He let go of it and quickly started arranging objects I couldn't see in the dark. A moment later, my room was lit up by bright, flickering candles.

"Annabelle," he said comfortingly. "Life is going to throw you every-which-way and oh my, God, it's awful. But you need to hang in there. You're so important in this world. Disappearing isn't an option right now, especially when people need you."

I continued to tearfully stare at Sky, not saying a word. He looked back at me with concern. I could tell he believed in me more than I ever could believe in myself. Slowly, Sky guided me to the center of my room and sat me down in front of him. I looked around. I was now surrounded by light. Then, I looked back at Sky and noticed the candles reflecting in his brown eyes.

"Don't ever stop fighting for what you believe in. Without you, Anna, people wouldn't have the drive to be the best they can be. You are their inspiration. Okay, you made a few mistakes. So has everyone else that's ever existed." He paused. "Isolating yourself won't solve any of your problems. Besides, you can't always blame yourself for what happens. You-"He broke off. I was giving him a weak smile.

With a shaky breath, I whispered, "I won't let go. Not yet." He released a sigh of relief as I gave him another watery smile.

"We've missed you," he said, gripping my hand tighter. "I've missed you."

Suddenly, I collapsed into his arms and felt the warmth of his body. "I've missed you, too."