Chapter 1

Maya's POV:

I kick a pebble across the pavement, watching it corkscrew twice then land with a quiet click. I kick it again, and it again starts to wheel. It isn't fair. The other day I had been arguing with my big sister over who got the last scoop of Shiver Factory icecream, and now my sister is dead. Tears sting the corners of my eyes.

Suddenly the old neighborhood and the sun beating white-hot against the chalky pavement makes me nauseous, and I double over, vomiting in the flower bed. I drop to my knees and press my head against the cool surface of a gardening pot. This has to be a dream. In a few hours I would wake up and rip the covers off my sister's bed, urging her to get ready for school. Heels clack against the pavement, and I look up from my crouch. "What are you doing?" Cindy asks.

 Cindy is our...my step mom as of late, and it seems to me like she doesn't give a damn about the death of her little step daughter. My fists clench and unclench as I look at her pressed suit and tight curls. "Oh, nothing. Just admiring the flowers." I say mockingly, choking on her perfume as she passes.

"My hand-i-work." Cindy nods, smiling haughtily at me. "Well, I applied some fertilizer for you." I say, as I wipe my mouth and stride to the door. I hear the woman shriek behind me, and smile defiantly. My throat tightens as I realize that this is something Notia would have done.

 "Yes, dear- I understand. But you have to realize that she is going through the death of her sister. Cindy, they haven't even found her. That child won't see her sister leave peacefully." My father says heavily. I hear Cindy huff. "If it's so devestating, why don't you care?" She says, leaning over the counter. "I do care but...It's what...it's..it's what Notia would have wanted. She wouldn't want us to be angry...sad.." He says quietly. I see his eyes brim from my hiding spot. Cindy slaps her hand against the counter. "Then get back to work." She says, clicking out of the kitchen.

Notia's POV:

Bright light floods my vision, and I am standing before two wide, curled golden gates. On the other side of me there is a dark stone chamber, and between the two is a tall seat, surrounded by profusions. Sweet meats and candies, dainty cakes and crunchy bread, boxes filled with jewels and diamonds, golden goblets brimming with sour wine, silver jewelry intricately decorated with gems and swirled patterns, and all of the treasures the eye could see. I look atop the chair, in which no soul sits.

My stomach is suddenly empty, and I notice my burning hunger as I view the meats and fine delicacies piled in my reach. This is too fairy-tale cliche. This isn't real life.

 I sense something bad, something evil; about this gathering- and I don't eat. I don't advance towards the supper though my stomach growls in protest. I make my way to those large golden gates, and peer between the banisters. I only see light beyond the gate, but nothing more. What wonders lay beyond these gates?

With this, I walk to the next gate, and choke on the smell of coal and the sensation of fear and great suffering. I grip my dress. Dress? I look down at my wardrobe to find myself adorned with an exquisite gown of soft white silk and golden fasteners. My feet are dressed with gold sandles, and I feel the ring of gold upon my head, rough with the treasure of the skies.

All of the sudden I am pulled away from this safe place, and I stand right in front of myself, staring into my own eyes. It is me, five minutes ago, I realize. I look into my eyes. They are sad, and I speak to Liam. I am pulled from view, and a tiny beach comes to view, waves crashing lightly against the salt-crusted shore.

I come into view, swinging a beach bag as I follow behind Sandra and Liam. They hold hands, and the three of us laugh at something Sandra has said. I see the time zoom forward, and it is dark out. I speak angrily to Sandra, glaring as I spit my words through clenched teeth. "You know I care about him." I whisper, wiping tears from my eyes. "You knew." I say. Sandra backs away.