Chapter 5

Oliver’s POV (unedited)

I hate it. I’m so bored and I’m so hungry. And playing this pathetic game called ‘Pacman’ was doing me no good. All Pacman ever does was eat some stupid dots and there are these weird-looking octopuses chasing after him, wait was Pacman an it or a him or a her? I really don’t care… that makes no sense to me at all. What makes sense to me right now was food. Since Uncle Finnick was in charge to babysit me, though I’m not a baby anymore, I came into his room and told him that I’m hungry, although he’s talking to someone on the phone. I really don’t care. I’m hungry.

After waiting for forever and yelling for a countless of times, Uncle Finny finally dropped his call. I made a triumphant cheer inside my head. I looked at him innocently, “Say hello to Blaze from me.” And grinned.

Uncle Finny glared at me. I wasn’t scared though. “You were supposed to say that earlier. And it’s not Blaze, it’s Blair.

And I don’t care, I said in my head.“But I’m hungry.”

With a defeated sigh, he stood up from his bed. “Right, let’s go to the kitchen.” And I followed his track.

Uncle Finny commanded me to sit on the chair near the kitchen counter as he made his way to cook something for me. Yes, for me. He started chopping some garlic and onion and later on I heard him sniffing. So I asked, “Uncle, are you crying?”

He wiped the tears coming off from his eyes. “Yes, kid. Blame yourself for this.”

“Why me?” I asked, surprised.

“You made me chop onions.” He said amid sniffing while chopping more onions.

“I didn’t ask you to chop onions for me. I just told you to cook something for me.” I said in a matter-of-factly tone.

I heard him chuckled, “You’re just like your dad.”

“Which is your brother.” I added.

“Yeah, for a kid, you’re pretty sassy.”

“What does sassy even means?” Was that an insult? “And I’m not a kid anymore, I’m already six years old… why does everyone in this family think that I’m still a toddler?” I fumed.

He turned around to look at me, a smile plastered across his face. “See, you’re still a kid. You don’t know what ‘sassy’ even means. And I don’t remember someone in the family think you’re actually a toddler.”

I pouted. I don’t know what to say. Uncle Finny knows better than I do so I just rested my chin on my palm and watched him cook and whoa, it smelled so good. I feel like drooling. After waiting for a couple of minutes, my food was ready. I don’t know what the name of the food was but it looked definitely appetizing to my eyes. Uncle served it to me and without further ado, I attacked the food. Not really attack, more like eat it the moment it was served in front of me.

While eating vigorously, I felt that Uncle Finny was watching me interestingly so I turned to look at him, with food still lingering on my mouth. “Don’t look at me. It’s awkward.”

His green eyes crinkled with amusement, and then to my surprise he pinched me on my cheeks. He didn’t say anything afterwards, so I assume that was his response. Ignoring my Uncle’s gaze, I quickly consumed my food, and licked the sauce residues that were left on the plate. It was that delicious.

“Whoa kid,” Uncle said, “That’s enough.”

I put down my plate and thanked Uncle for the food.

“No prob, Oli.” He then ruffled my hair. I was like, in my mind, ‘not my hair dude’. I kinda fixed it before I left our house. I refused to say that to him for he’s just going to tease me that I’m only fixing my hair because I’m crushing on a girl. Argh, girls are freaking annoying and dramatic. A very nice example of that would be the girl crushing on me, who’s also my classmate (unfortunately), named Roxy. Even her name sounds girly. And it’s so obvious that she’s so into with me. Anyway, let’s not talk about that, I head back to my room and what now? I have nothing to do.

Then I heard Uncle Finnick’s phone was blaring. I supposed that was mom or dad. So I went into his room and answered his phone.

But unfortunately it was not.

“Hey Finnick—“

“It’s Oliver. What now?” I broke off. “And who are you?”

She hesitated to speak for a while. “Uhm hey, it’s Blair,” Ohhh, so it’s Blair, not Blaze. “You must be Oliver, his nephew.”

“No, maybe I’m his brother. Just maybe.” I said sarcastically. Like seriously, of course I’m Finny’s nephew! See, that’s the thing about girls. No matter how obvious the answers were, they’re going to throw you with some dumb and stupid questions in return. It’s maddening.

That seemed to throw her off-guard, I’m not even sorry at the least. Yet to my surprise she laughed. “You’re so hilarious!”

I’m trying not to be insulted by that act of manner. Ignoring her gale of laughter, I asked, “Who are you really anyway, Blair? Are you Finnick’s girlfriend?”

“Uhmm…” she said, probably thinking or blushing, and finally “Nope, not really.”

“I can’t stand talking to you so I’m giving this phone to Uncle.” I said as I made my way downstairs and caught Uncle washing the dishes… his head shot up when he saw me.

“What’s the matter?” He asked, wiping his wet hands at the side of his pants and went towards me.

I handed him his phone. “It’s your not really girlfriend on the other line and she wants to talk to you.”

He carefully eyed me for a while before he gets his phone from me. “Hello?” He placed his phone on his ears now; his voice unsure. Does it look like I’m kidding him?! Then his face suddenly lit up. Oooooookay, I got it. I should leave it to their business to talk about mushy stuffs.

Meanwhile, I went back to my room and played on my iPhone. Amidst playing intently, a message popped-up on my screen and it read:

Low Battery.

I grunted in frustration. And yeah, beside girls, I hate low batteries.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I enjoyed writing Oli's POV. Hehe.